Lisa Marie Presley Selling Elvis Estate

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Sun Baked, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Look's like the money-making bulk of the estate will be in public company soon...

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm surprised that his estate would be $25 million in debt. This sounds like a win win situation for Lisa Marie. She gets to keep the best part, without any headaches.

3. crachoar macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry, doesn't anybody else see a problem with a 'businessman' owning the 'name and image' of a human being?

No? Nobody?

/me continues to hide from the New World Order :(

4. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Not really, I'm so freaking poor. I would sell my name and image if it got me a new PowerMac 2.5 with a new 23" Apple Display.

Actually... I would go for way less than that.

*puts his hat on the floor and grovels for loose change*

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

What is that you fear from this ownership? Withe Lisa Marie being in debt, all could have been lost if someone didn't step forward. If it were sold at auction, then it would have gone to multiple owners. The possibly would exist the the public could longer have viewing privileges.

6. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

As long as she gets to keep the house and the famous Elvis chili dog recipe, it's a good deal for her.

As you know, the chili dog was a necessary component in the Elvis diet. The chili dog IS Elvis. The chili dog IS the king.

7. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Not this ownership. I could, frankly, give a damn about Elvis.

But I mean, the fact that a corporation could own an identity, and eventually, the genetic make-up of a human being...

You don't find that to be the least bit frightening?

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You make it sound like this is something new. How is a companying owning the rights any different than a private individual owning the rights? Would you rather that no one owned the rights so anyone could profit from someone else's success and hard work?

Lethal

9. Sun Baked thread starter macrumors G5

Sun Baked

When you sign up to a lot of contracts these days, you sign away your image, name, etc. for the riches that come with movies, music, and sports...

Since Star Wars, the merchandising rights are just as important as the movie/music -- in some case more important, since the merchandise for some of these products can squeeze out a billion dollars or more in merchandise before people start beating their heads into the wall to avoid some of the commercial sales pitches.

With this sale, we can expect Elvis to become more commercial than before.

I almost expect and Saturday morning Elvis cartoon will show up soon opposite Jackie Chan. :(

10. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I wonder what Elvis is thinking of all of this, whilst he's sitting on a beach sipping margaritas with Tupac and Biggie! :p

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Hey, Tupac is still selling brand new albums! ;)

12. Col. Panic macrumors member

What will this do to the value of the Velvis (Velvet + Elvis) hanging over my bed?

13. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

MUENSTER, Ger. (AP) - Vollspacken's daughter is keeping PBR-me-ASAP-Land but selling the bulk of the Vollspacken estate, including rights to her father's name and image, in a deal worth approximately $1.

Vollspacken's daughter will retain possession of her father's iPod, his tiBook and Airport network and much of her father's "Big A$$ Mp3 Collection," an announcement on the agreement said...

what a shame ;)

vSpacken