List files by Folders then Files, like Windows.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by louish, Jan 23, 2007.

1. louish macrumors newbie

louish

I am a Windows user, trying to switch to mac, but having a very hard time doing so. One reason its hard for me to move to mac is the speed of os x. I find windows to be much faster, but I understand this could easily be an illusion because I dont know my way around OS X as well as Windows.

I was wondering if there was a way when you are looking at the files on your hard drive, in List view, to be able to sort the files/folders like it does in Windows, where Folders at at the top (sorted alphabetically), and Files are below that (sorted alphabetically), where in OS X, it mixes your files and folders into one large list alphabetically.

2nd Question: Are there rules as to when OS X decides to use a previous window or open a new one. Since there is no CUT on mac, if I need to move files around, I often find my self opening a new window, navigating to the correct sub folder (mind you, its probably 10 levels deep), then going back to the desktop, to open a new window, and I find it uses my exsisting window and wipes out my current directory instead of loading a new window. Im sure I could easily go to the top and choose New Window, but Im wondering if there are preset rules as to when OS X will use an exsisting window or open a new one.

Also, what Browser on the mac is rated to be the fastest? I find FireFox and Safari are extremely slow compared to IE 7 via Parallels. I can litterally open IE7 in Parallels and type the web address and have it load faster than a page will load in FireFox or Safari.

Thanks
    Clint

2. Richard Flynn macrumors regular

This is a fairly oft-requested feature for the Finder, especially from Windows users. There is currently a third-party alternative: you can use Path Finder from Cocoatech for all your file-browsing, which has an option for listing folders before files.

Path Finder will also help you with moving large groups of files since you can (1) open folders into tabs within the same window and then drag and drop between tabs, or (2) drag a selection of files onto the 'drop stack' which appears in every PF window, and then navigate to your target folder and drag from the drop stack into the destination.

It would be very nice if the new Leopard Finder incorporated some, all, or more of these features. Not without reason do many people chant the mantra FTFF (I invite you to look that one up). For the moment, however, you'll have to pay to use Path Finder—a licence is $34.95 USD.

Other people will be able to tell you about the situations when the Finder opens new windows and so on.

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Funny, cause that's one of things I dislike about Windows Explorer. :D It's definitely not the same thing, but you could sort by Kind, which will put folders... well... not at the top, but at least group them together. :eek:

Not sure what you mean... if you tell it to open a new window... you open a new window. :confused: Could you clarify?

I've used Firefox (though I mostly use Safari, I think it's equally as fast) for both Mac OS X and Windows on my Mac Pro and not really noticed a difference. I haven't used IE7, though I (unwillingly) use IE6 regularly and think it's pretty sucky.

4. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There's actually also a trick to make Finder do this natively -- it has to do with modifying a system store of the "kind" types -- it's actually very easy to do and takes just a moment, although it is a "hack." I think it involves using sudo defaults write. But I am having a little trouble finding it Googling right now. If I can find it, I'll link it.

EDIT: Here it is. It's a little old... and actually it seems to muck with things like the kind:folder argument in Spotlight.... :(

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

In List view click on the Column labeled Kind and it will separate things out out the way I think you want them. The Default (highlighted) column is Name so everything is arranged alphabetically.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The problem in Finder is that Folders are somewhere in the middle of the "Kind" list (behind everything with a kind that begins with a letter before F. :D )

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

The simplest way I'd do this is to use the "spring loaded" folders aspect of OS X and simply grab the file(s) you want to move and drag them over the folder you want to place them. This will open the folder and you can continue to drag it over subsequent subfolders until you've navigated to the one you want. Then just let them go and they'll be moved.

If you want to copy them instead of move them, then press the Option key before you "let go" of the click and they'll be copied. If you want to move between disks instead of copy, then hold down the :apple: key.

9. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Clover-n will open a new window, shift-clover-n will create a new folder in finder. That may help some when you need to drag things around.

10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

LOL...Also known as command, or for real old schoolers open apple.

11. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Ever since I heard that the Germans called it the clover key, I've kind of adopted it! Since there's no more closed apple key I've decided to just go with clover :)