List of CD/DVD drive support under MacOSX 10.4.4?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EHUnlucky7x9@ao, Feb 11, 2006.

1. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    Hey guys, I'm searching here for a list of optical drives supported under MacOSX.... If anyone could point me to the direction of looking, it'd be a big help. I searched the support page on Apple, but I didn't find anything.

If noone knows any page showing the list, could anyone tell me if these following drives work with the mac?

1. Pioneer DVR-110
    2. NEC ND-1300A
    3. Pioneer DVR-109
    4. Sony DW-D30A

I'm currently looking into purchasing one of those drives for my PowerMac G5 to replace the superdrive that I have. I'd like to have dual layer so when I create my projects in DVD Studio Pro, I'm not limited to just 4.7 Gb.

If anyone owns one of these drives on their Mac...let me know! Thank you in advance.
  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    Here you go.
    I highly recommend the buddy has one and loves it.
  3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
  4. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    I just stuck a random no-brand CD-RW drive from a PC into a Powermac when it's optical drive died and it worked no problems. I hear it's all luck.
  5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I think the story is slightly different for DVD-DL than for CD-RW... I think the latter has become so standardized that you should be fine with anything, but the former is a little more iffy....
  6. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Sep 28, 2004
    u have a sony DRU-810a in a FW/USB enclosure and it works fine with both iLife/Toast and with my PC.