List of cities with 3D mapping:

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by djrod, Jun 13, 2012.

1. djrod, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

macrumors 6502a

djrod

I found a list of available 3D cities, in case someone wants to see all of them, it's funny how even cars are 3D modeled

Australia
    Melbourne
    Sydney

Canada
    Montreal
    Toronto

Denmark
    Copenhagen

Spain
    Madrid

US
    Alhambra
    Atlanta
    Austin
    Beverly Hills
    Boston
    Century City
    Chicago
    Cupertino
    Dallas
    Denver
    Fort Worth
    Hollywood
    Houston
    Las Vegas
    Los Angeles
    Memphis
    Miami
    Mountain View
    New Orleans
    Oakland
    Philadelphia
    Phoenix
    Portland
    Sacramento
    San Diego
    San Francisco
    San Gabriel
    San Jose
    San Marino
    Santa Monica
    Seattle
    South Pasadena

UK
    Birmingham
    Manchester

2. macrumors 68000

steve-p

That's it? How is Google's street view looking now ;)

3. macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Thanks for this I was hoping someone would provide a list., the level of detail really is quite impressive iPhone 4S, bet it looks even better on the iPad.

----------

1) they are two completely different things
    2) we are in beta1, do you really think thats it? Its never going to grow? :rolleyes:
    3) for the guys that miss streetview theres the app that Google will release.

4. macrumors 6502

This raises an interesting question. The 3d view is limited at the moment, I have no doubt that it will be expanded gradually, but how much will it be expanded. Will Apple create 3d maps of every major city and then stop, or will they continue and model smaller cities and so on until the map has total coverage (excluding area 51 etc) of the entire globe?

5. macrumors member

I really do hope that they let Google submit Google Maps to the Appstore. Because as it is now, Apple's Map is so much worse than Googles.

The Standard look might be somewhat ok over the world, but Satellite and 3D is missing. Basicly no satellite images of Sweden. And even if this is a beta, I highly doubt that they will fill up with good satellite imagery until the release in fall.

It being kind of slow when using Hybrid view I can see it being a beta.

6. macrumors 6502a

Wow I thought Sydney was the only map available.

This is unbelievable. Really really amazing.

7. Contributor

AndyK

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? :rolleyes:

8. macrumors 6502a

Although I'm from the UK, No sarcasm. These 3D maps are absolutely superb.

I haven't spent this long on maps since Google got satellite images over my town. Or when Street view went live.

I though Sydney was the only live place so I've been messing with that for ages.

9. smr
    macrumors 6502a

Please don't feed the troll....;)

Sacramento also has 3D flyover, I'm sure there are more out there!

10. macrumors newbie

I am surprised to see New York City absent on the list. Perhaps its a huge work in progress due to the sheer grandness of the city!

11. macrumors 6502a

what a stupid decision by apple. google maps are 573629x better

12. macrumors 6502

I hope Apple actually works on this and brings it to more cities and some African countries. Apple always seems to make the cool things work in two places

13. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    What I don't understand is these planes have been flying for years I'm sure (because the company Apple bought had already been doing flyovers). So are they still processing the renderings or are they holding them back initially for some reason?

14. macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

You didn't expect "Apple maps" to come out and blow Google out of the water from launch, did you?

15. macrumors 68020

JML42691

I'd suspect they're holding them back until the app has the initial kinks worked out. If there's an issue with the way the 3D data is loaded into the app I'm sure they'd like to figure that out with only some of the covered areas released rather than having to rework everything.

It's a small scale rollout people, only in beta.

16. macrumors regular

GoGa

Thanks for the list! I really love Flyover, its much more useful than streetveiw for me.

They are defiantly leaving lots of places out (for obvious reasons), I found a few videos on YouTube showing places they haven't added yet:

London: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5lM_KefDkg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hoover Dam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlelVaxctI0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Oslo, Norway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSmunh6NIQI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Venice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNr_ToOFvHI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Also in this video they say the have over 100 cities mapped: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzNFz-_fMsg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And for anyone who's interested here is a video of how they make the maps (and it also happens to show they have Kenya mapped): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNemPTHOKWg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

17. macrumors regular

ebolamonkey3

Hmm, I wonder if Google's going to release a standalone Google Maps app for iOS w/ all of the features like it is on Android.

And I wonder if Apple's going to block it from app store :D

18. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, there's no way they don't have New York all ready to go. This is clearly a list of cities Apple decided to test with rather than a list of what they actually have.

19. macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

would someone be cool enough to check if Dallas, TX has a 3D view and if so, post a few screen pics of it up here?

20. macrumors 6502a

Parise

Thats my question.

Am I going to be able to go to my neighborhood in Orlando and see 3D views of my house?

----------

Nothing for dallas.

21. macrumors 6502a

3D mode is not supported on iPhone 4? Sigh, this sucks. Why wouldn't it be able to support 3D? I'm assuming there's not much difference between the 4 and 4S in terms of hardware.

22. macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Wow! I honestly have just had my breath taken away. That's fantastic. In what, 5 years time when they have global coverage this is going to be one amazing feature!

23. macrumors member

5 Years!?

That might be pushing them a bit to cover the whole world. Obviously we are not sure of how much they already have but I wouldn't expect to see the whole world done for a while unless they get a massive fleet of planes and helicopters.

24. macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Sorry just re-read my post and made a mistake. I meant global cities, not complete global coverage.

25. macrumors regular

Sorry, no 3D here. Attached a screen of it anyway. But I'm sure US will be covered pretty soon, unlike russia which will be waiting for it for a long long time...

Attached Files: