List of games that run on iBook G4

Discussion in 'Games' started by McGuillicuddy, Nov 27, 2004.

1. McGuillicuddy macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I was just hoping that we could compile a list of games that run servicably on the iBook G4 (model shouldn't matter since they all have the same video card). Obviously, if you're playing a game on an iBook G3 then it will run on the G4 so put it on the list! Perhaps put the game name, and possibly other details (resolution, detail settings, FPS you're getting, other comments).

I thought this may serve as a useful list for anybody who may want to do some light gaming on their iBook or is thinking of buying one.

2. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Now, I'm running an eMac 1Ghz, Radeon 7500. So I've never played these on current-model iBooks, but since the specs on said iBooks are much higher than my eMac, I should expect them to run quite easily without worry.

Unreal Tournament ('99)
    Max Payne
    Diablo 2 & Expansion
    Red Faction
    Starcraft
    Sacrifice
    Diablo
    Quake 3 Arena (And Awesome Mod, True Combat)
    The Sims & Expansions
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Aliens Vs. Predator

...and that's it as far as games I actually bought for the Mac. As for source ports and etc...

Doom Legacy
    Duke Nukem 3D
    Glider Pro
    Quake
    Qake 2
    Tony Hawk (2, 3, 4)

3. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Wipeout runs pretty well as does Civilization 3.

Star Trek Elite force ran beatifully, one of my favorite FPSs! Also Sixtyforce runs some N64 games reasonably well on my ibook.

4. rccola70 macrumors regular

Warcraft III and The Frozen Throne expansion

Call of Duty and its soon to be released expansion: United Offensive.

Homeworld 2

thats all I can think of right now...

5. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Call of Duty, Age of Mythology, and Age of Empires II should run perfectly. Well close to perfect. Possibly Halo with settings turned down. (It runs pretty well on my iBook). There are some other good ones too. The ones I just named run on my iBook nicely which is a 933 MHz G4 model.

6. applekid macrumors 68020

I rather answer questions about how a game runs on a certain machine as they come instead of compiling a list for just one line of machines. You could literally come up with well over 100.

So, to make things simpler, here's my broad statements:
    - Check this forum and other Mac gaming forums for opinions about particular games.
    - Check review sites for their take on things.
    - Check demos when possible to see how things are on your machine.
    - If your Mac meets a game's system requirements, you will be able to load the game, guaranteed. However, how well the game runs will be hit or miss.
    - Being well above system requirements is always good.
    - The only games I'd ever worry about for non-PowerMac G5s are UT2K4, Halo, C&C Generals, SimCity 4, WoW, and whatever is released in the future. Those games are up to the consumer for playability standards.

7. dual64bit macrumors 6502

8. OryHara macrumors regular

9. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

With settings down.