List of New iPad cases with working (and non working) on/off switch

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by BuckeyeRandy, Mar 16, 2012.

1. BuckeyeRandy, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

macrumors newbie

Reading a lot of threads, it appears Apple changed the polarity of their on/off magnet. Some cases with a beefy magnet still work while many others that were designed for the New iPad do not. I would like to keep a running list of what works and what does not. Please post your results if you have a New iPad case that works, a New iPad case that does not work, or an iPad 2 case that both fits and the smart on/off switch works and I will add them to the list.

Edit:
    Now that we understand that the iPad 2 was not sensitive to the magnetic polarity and the new iPad is, this list is dedicated to cases that work all the time or have corrected the issue. Many manufactures did not pay any attention to whether the magnet was north facing or south facing. The cases will work some of the time and some of the time they won't. Manufactures will go back to the top of the list if 1) they made a statement or told customers it has been fixed and bad units are not in the wild. 2) a list of several users in a row claiming it worked 3) lots of reviews claiming it worked.

WORKING:
    Apple Smart Cover
    Devicewear Detour 360
    Devicewear Peak
    Devicewear Ridge
    Choiix wake up folio for ipad 2 (barely fits and smart cover works)
    Poetic HardBack for iPad 3
    Poetic StrapBack for iPad 3
    Case Mate Tuxedo for Ipad 2
    Maroo Mana
    Griffins Elan Folio Slim
    Portenzo
    Moko Slim Fit Folio (currently unavilable)
    Belkin Cinema Leather Folio (preorder)
    Marware's CEO Hybrid
    Zaggfolio for iPad 3

NOT WORKING (though you might get lucky):
    BOOQ Folio
    Targus VersaVue
    Targus Slim Case
    Mophie cases
    Charcoal SwitchEasy
    rooCASE Convertible
    Bear Motion leather folio (kdoug also claims worse quality than iPad 2)
    maroo roto II
    maroo koru II
    Otterbox Defender (screen protector also messes up the visibility of the screen)
    STM Skinny
    Ifrogz summit for 3rd gen
    Piel Frama Magnetic Case (and camera blocked)
    MicroShell Folio
    Targus VueCase
    Targus Slim Case (mostly miss)
    STM Skinny (company will replace non working ones)
    Sena Florence
    Maroo Moko II (Red)
    rooCASE Duel View
    Switcheasy Canvas
    CaseCrown Bold
    Zoogue
    Snugg iPad 3
    Incipio Lexington
    Bear Motion
    Scosche folIO IQ
    fieldfolio

2. macrumors newbie

I bought a case from Targus and roocase and was goign to keep the one I liked better. Neither case worked (though both descriptions said they would).

3. macrumors newbie

The Apple smart cover works fine. If they changed the magnet, how did Apple retroactively make the other cases not work?

4. macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

This type of listing isn't going to be as helpful as we all hope it would be. Reason: I purchased two Maroo cases. The magnetic smart cover feature on one of them works perfectly with the new iPad. On the second one the smart cover feature doesn't work at all. The only outward difference in the two cases is the color of the leather. The red leather one works fine, the black leather one doesn't work at all.

So, as I said, good luck with a list.

Mark

5. macrumors 601

OneMike

Targus VueCase worked without issue for me.

Seems to be sporadic for people so can't get a verdict really.

6. macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

It could potentially be the SIZE of the magnet (maybe Apple used larger ones that manage to cover the repositioned sensor in the new iPad), or it's also been suggested it could be the polarity of the magnets.

I'm leaning toward the polarity issue. Reason:

On my black leather Maroo case that doesn't work properly for the magnetic smart cover feature, IF I push the edge of the cover/lid back toward the spine (which positions the right edge about half inch in over the face of the iPad), the iPad goes to sleep. In that position, it's the edge of the magnet (embedded in the cover) that is over the iPad's sensor. That puts the opposite polarity of the magnet closer to the sensor. The sleep function works!

Why on earth the polarity would be an issue is beyond me. But that's certainly the way it appears.

Bottom line, it would appear that some third-party cases got assembled with the "north" end of the magnet facing down and others got assembled with the "south" end of the magnet facing down. This reversal of polarity apparently didn't matter for the iPad 2 but it seems to be a rather significant issue for the new iPad.

Mark

7. macrumors member

To add to the list, the Sena Florence case does NOT work with the sleep/wake function. I suspect the tiny magnet used for the sensor is out of place for the new iPad and too weak to overcome the distance. I think some other cases still work as they have larger, more powerful magnets.

8. macrumors newbie

Marware Microshell Folio

Can anybody confirm for me if the Marware Microshell Folio is working? I work abroad and am having my iPad and case brought to me in a couple of weeks so I can't test it out before having it brought over here. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

9. macrumors regular

10. macrumors 6502a

firstapple

My Maroo (black) works perfectly with my new iPad. Weird that some work and some don't.

11. macrumors newbie

I have a Targus VueCase and it does not work. I think you should make a category for "hit and miss".

12. macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

JUST got home with the VersaVu and now see this thread.

I am not too sure i really care if the sleep/wake function does not work. Been living without such a function on my 1st gen so this is not a deal breaker.

The new iPad being a smidge thicker than iPad 2 does conscern me a bit, as I am sure it hinders the new iPad locking into this case when compared to the iPad it was designed for. Sure, it says "For 3rd generation" but I doubt verty much this case was made 0.8mm deeper to match up with the 3rd gen. There hasn't been enough time between announcement and product to come out with new cases. (I mean, if they DID get the new specs in advance, they'd have also known how to redesign so the sleep/wake works).

Might keep it, might not. Gonna pop a friends 1Pad 2 into it and if the 2 fits better, the case goes back and I wait for the re-engineered VersaVu.

MIke

13. macrumors newbie

I agree completely. One side of the new iPad fits perfectly in the plastic tray and the other side is above. I can live without the smart cover but this bothers me so it's going back.

14. macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I see that the Maroo (black) was added to the list of "works". However, there are reports of others not working, so I'm not sure which list it should be on. The one I have is the Moko.

15. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I added it to the hit or miss list.

16. macrumors regular

17. macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Well, I had to press it rather hard all around to get all the locking edges to engage. It seems pretty secure. I held it above my mattress and shook with much vigor to see it it dislodged at all and it did not seem to move one bit. Since I rarely took my 1st gen out of the house (heck, it was rarely out of my living room), this just may do.

Mike

18. macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Just got home with the Targus Slim Case. It fits really well but the deal breaker is the Magnetic on/off. Say's it works but it doesn't. :mad:

19. macrumors 6502a

lamonsas

Can u tell me which Incipio case Doesn't work with the sleep/wake function ? lol :p

because as far as im concerned, Incipio didnt release any Folio type case yet that uses that feature so why did u put Incipio in that list of NOT WORKING cases is what i find interesting lol

20. thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't find the original thread I read about the Incipios. I just took them off the list for now.

21. macrumors newbie

Please add to list
    Ifrogz summit for 3rd gen ipad does NOT work.

22. macrumors member

I just bought the Speck FitFolio. Works for me.

23. macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

24. macrumors member

Piel Frama Magnetic Case turns off the screen and fits like a glove.

25. macrumors member