List of problems already plagued by some US PSP units.

Discussion in 'Games' started by manicdvln, Mar 24, 2005.

1. manicdvln macrumors member

- UMD motor makes too much noise. (problem by design)
    - Dead pixels (Not covered by warranty)
    - USB connection not being detected by OS (not covered by warranty)
    - Wifi gaming connection problems (not covered by warranty)
    - Screen relfects too much under light (problem by design)
    - PSP smudges too easily (problem by design)
    - UMD drive latch being loose (problem by design)
    - Bubbles on screen (defect)
    - Dust/white powder under the screen (defect)
    - Lower quality screen, samsung used instead of sharp. (Sony decision)
    - Broken Analog nub (defect)

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

is this a personal list or did some website post this? or what?

if these end up being common problems i feel bad for all those who get the PSP

3. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

- UMD motor makes too much noise. (problem by design)
    Subjective to the user.
    Normal on LCD devices.
    Never heard this one, my JPN psp works fine in this.
    Wifi games are still in testing phasese, sure I've gotten disconnected while playing twisted metal online, who's to say it's sony's fault.
    Screen Protector.
    ipod smudges and so do a million other things
    have heard of this, never actually seen it, or heard someone complainging about it.
    No idea
    Definitely an issue! mine has this it's because of all the openings.
    US PSP has Sharp screen, samsung memory
    heard this in a magazine, never seen it either.

interesting list. most points are pretty much unusual situations for the most part. I guess some people may have some of those problems though.

I hate Sony, but I love my PSP. seriously, I avoid sony stuff like the plague, but I haven't had this much fun with portable gaming in my life.

4. shortyjj macrumors regular

Does anybody have a U.S. release of the PSP that has experienced these issues?

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

in the words of mario and countless stereotypical TV italians;

uh-oh speghetti-o's!

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

and they expect me to pay $250/£160 (estimate*) for this?

i say estimate... knowing how crappily prices get inflated in the UK i wouldnt be suprised to see the going for £200.

7. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Sony build quality is legendary.

However the playstation brand is built on the cheap and it shows, constant problems plagued the Playstaion and PS2.

If i was to get a PSP i'll wait a year untill ver 2 is released, by then they should have sorted all these problems out and upgraded the battery.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I figure I'm gonna wait till the PSP goes down in price, say, till it costs less than I paid for my CONSOLE when it was new :rolleyes: (GC cost $200 at launch)

My sister has a job at Best Buy so she could probably snatch one for cheap.

But I wouldn't buy it until I could pick it up (with discount and all) for less than I paid for my DS. $50 a game + $250 a system is just WAY too much for me to spend. And the PSP would go alongside my DS, definitely not replace it. So it's just not worth it to me.

I'll probably pick one up by the end of this year just for kicks. But my DS is still my system of choice.

9. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Sony, I hate you. You don't cover any common problems with your warranty the manufactoring on the PSP is joke.

10. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I'm sorry but some guy jumps on a forum posts a list of defects with no link to anything official and all of a sudden we are meant to believe it? How about I make up a list of defects about Apple products and provide no proof? This just reads as the same garbage that was spread about the Japanese PSP where in total only a few got sent back to Sony and all of them got replaced.

And what is worse is all of you are just eating it up!

PLEASE!

11. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Seriously. Some of these folks (and they know who they are... so do you, by now) are coming off as pure Sony haters. I'm going to start ignoring these people, permanently.

12. manicdvln thread starter macrumors member

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstatio...ssage.id=251653

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstatio...ssage.id=251428

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=883507

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstatio...ssage.id=251782

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstatio...ssage.id=251393

http://lithium.1up.com/zd/board/message?bo...essage.id=14864

http://www.gamesarefun.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3862

13. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I just got mine today, and it has 4 dead pixels, but everything else seems to work fine!

Edit:
    I bought the GameStop year warranty for $30 and they said it covers dead pixels.

14. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

The PSP is too big. I had a Sega GameGear from about 10 years ago. What makes the PSP special? I have no idea. At this point, I fully expect a device 1/2 the size that can display 20" holographic images in 3D space. Technology is just moving too slowly.

15. Cfly macrumors regular

i got my psp today

everything works perfectly on it. no dead pixels. online works. it is not big.

the screen is freaking amazing, spiderman 2 looks awesome on it.

twisted metal rocks.

its just that the majority of people who have problems are obviously going to go post on the sony forums, people who got good ones are to busy playing, and dont need to post there angry stories

16. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Assuming sarcasm there, that was an effective way to facetiously tell these sony haters to bug off.

Assuming you're being serious...

17. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I actually read all of those posts and most of them are 1 or a few people complaining - hardly a flood, and a few of them aren't anything more than people being clueless.

It sucks to hear that they used a cheaper LCD in the US model, oh well I'm glad I've got a perfectly working Japanese import.

18. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

I love Sony, their kit is esy to use, performs well and lasts forever.

I have among my other kit,

Sony DD Amp
    Sony MD Player
    Sony CD Player
    Sony 32" TV
    and soon to be either Sony or Pioneer next gen DVD player.

You just have to understand that the Playstation brand is built differntly and falls apart with alarming regularity.

Nintendo build quality is legandary and last decades, the Playstation lasts a few years at best, at worst a replacement is needed every year.

19. XboxEvolved macrumors regular

Why is it everytime a new piece of technology comes out people act surprised when there are defects in the first models? I guess when Apple launched the iPod they were all TOTALLY FREE from defects, right?

UMD motor makes too much noise. (problem by design)
    Answer: No it doesn't, if anything it makes as much noise as a Discman or an iPod reading the drive.

Answer: Take it back to the store, most stores have 30 Day policies.

Answer: Refer to last

Answer: Refer to last

Answer: Meh, Im not walking around outside in the glaring sunlight with a PSP either.

Answer: It smudges, but thats why it comes with a cloth. Besides, you cant notice the smudges when playing something on it.

Answer: By design or defect? This one is new to me.

Answer: TAKE IT BACK.

Answer: BACK!

Answer: Are you freakin serious? It is the best looking screen I have ever seen.

Answer: Back back back I say!

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i have mixed emotions about Sony, party down to my PSX being replaced about 3 times due to motor errors if i recall.
    i used to love my old Sony MZ-R91 minidisc player. but alas MP3 was a better choice for me. still got it! tough little bugger. just one dent on the front panel and the battery latch likes to open.

fraid it ends there. I was in Kendals a couple of years ago planning my next TV buy, i was after an old fashioned tube-TV but a nice ~40". long story short; the picture quality and overall build quality of the Sony's were immensely poor compared to the Panasonic series in the same price range.

I have a distaste for Sony speakers too, again, overpriced and lack the quality of the competition. £100 got me 2 of these sony 'square' speakers whereas my dad purchased a lovely £100 set of incredible Wharfedale speakers.

and you dont want to know about the problems my mates have had with thier 'post-metal casing' Minidisc players...

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

yea i remember a whole bunch of launch PS2's had faulty lasers. even now if you look into an underground console mag you can see PS2 replacement lasers, none for the cube or Xbox.

i got my cube a week after launch and no probs. i have never heard of a cube breaking either come to think of it :cool: ...not to say it dosnt happen, just saying you hear of PS2s breaking but... yea.

22. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

You can't handle the truth!!! Face it, Sony did a horrible job with geting a majority of these PSPs out clean.

23. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Same here. No dead pixels, no broken latches, no weird noises, everything works as expected.

BTW, I still have, in fine working order, my Playstation and PS2, both purchased on their respective Launch Day. Guess I've been lucky with my Sony kit.

I'm sure there are people out there who got a unit with a defect. Unfortunately, it is to be expected when you buy firstgen tech toys. Funny, though, how one or two people reporting an issue suddenly brings out haters waving torches and pitchforks, screaming epidemic. I think some people made up their minds before they even saw a PSP. :rolleyes:

24. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

No product launch is ever "Perfect". There will always be defects in 1st generation products until the end of time. It just seems that when a new product comes out, no matter how revolutionary it is, there are always nay-sayers (in this case, most likely nintendo fan-bois) who will point out ever instance of a complaint against the product as a major flaw, and the demise of Sony's portable gaming presence. It happens every time a group is threatened by another. Just demonize them, and make them look like the bad guys...

I'm not going to say the PSP is a perfect machine, but to call it right out flawed is probably going too far.