Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chefonthegony

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
bigg apple
hey,

Today I got mine first mac, powerbook g4 15" 512MB RM 80GB Harddrive, ok so. So I started the computer and everything was fine, went throw the whole process of setting up the computer. . Then I logged on and starting using the computer, the screen was nice and bright and very clear. I coudn't believe it, so I wanted to match a movie to see how it looked and then the screen strated to flicker like crazy it looked like someone was running a powerdrill on the screen. . . Then after 5 min of that it went dark, nothing know pic only sound. . I was scared so I called apple care and they didn't know what to tell me.. . So they conect me to the next level, and they told me that they was worry of this happing on the 15 and 17 because of the higher sceen Res, I was like what "this didn't make sense". . So the computer screen was dead and they want me to send it back, so that what I did and they are sending a new one. . . This dont sound right to me, how can appe computer know about this and not fix it before they strated to sell them. Can someone please make sense to this for me

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
chefonthegony said:
hey,

Today I got mine first mac, powerbook g4 15" 512MB RM 80GB Harddrive, ok so. So I started the computer and everything was fine, went throw the whole process of setting up the computer. . Then I logged on and starting using the computer, the screen was nice and bright and very clear. I coudn't believe it, so I wanted to match a movie to see how it looked and then the screen strated to flicker like crazy it looked like someone was running a powerdrill on the screen. . . Then after 5 min of that it went dark, nothing know pic only sound. . I was scared so I called apple care and they didn't know what to tell me.. . So they conect me to the next level, and they told me that they was worry of this happing on the 15 and 17 because of the higher sceen Res, I was like what "this didn't make sense". . So the computer screen was dead and they want me to send it back, so that what I did and they are sending a new one. . . This dont sound right to me, how can appe computer know about this and not fix it before they strated to sell them. Can someone please make sense to this for me

Chances are they didn't know until they got shipped and people started calling. Atleast they are replacing your machine. Most other companies would tell you you're SOL.

chefonthegony

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
bigg apple
i this spent 2k or some f computer that is dead after 20 min of using!!!!!!!!! listen this is not right from apple and im calling someone about this....

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

chefonthegony said:
very funny, I dont care about spelling i this spent 2k or some f computer that is dead after 20 min of using!!!!!!!!! listen this is not right from apple and im calling someone about this....

Seriously...there are lemons all the time. It happens. Aren't they sending you a new one right now?

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
This could happen with any company and with any product dude. Yes, it must suck for you, but faulty products are made everyday and someone has to get them. Doesn't mean all Powerbooks are broken.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
chefonthegony said:
i this spent 2k or some f computer that is dead after 20 min of using!!!!!!!!! listen this is not right from apple and im calling someone about this....

if you dont call someone about this i will. because it MUST be reported.
Apple can not get away with this. I always knew Apple was up to something.
Millions of people are at stake here, so we cannot fail. If i were in you position
i wouldnt use email for a few days just in case they've implanted
a virus to track your PURPOSEFULLY faulted powerbook. Apple can only be
summed up in this one word... evil.

chefonthegony

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
bigg apple
Gherkin said:
This could happen with any company and with any product dude. Yes, it must suck for you, but faulty products are made everyday and someone has to get them. Doesn't mean all Powerbooks are broken.

listen i understand that things happen but, listen it took them how many months to uograde... I don't care this is something that they should have known, and wait this problem will become a big issue... So go ahead and and make fun off me, we see who laughing after letter

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
chefonthegony said:
listen i understand that things happen but, listen it took them how many months to uograde... I don't care this is something that they should have known, and wait this problem will become a big issue... So go ahead and and make fun off me, we see who laughing after letter

dont worry dude, i'm with you. this is a big issue and you shouldnt let it die.
keep posting about it.

chefonthegony

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
bigg apple
obeygiant said:
dont worry dude, i'm with you. this is a big issue and you shouldnt let it die.
keep posting about it.

Im sorry for being angery and my spelling, I this can't understand what happen with a 2k computer after 20 min of using... It dosn't make it right anyway you look at it...Im so
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
chefonthegony said:
Im sorry for being angery and my spelling, I this can't understand what happen with a 2k computer after 20 min of using... It dosn't make it right anyway you look at it...Im so

dont worry dude, srsly.
just go to the refridgerator and drink a beer, sit on the couch
and watch tv.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
chefonthegony said:

Dont pay attention to anyones judgement of your spelling or grammer.

One thing that I have noticed about fellow mac users is that whenever someone brings up a flaw or defect in what Apple is doing, they immeditatley look for spelling mistakes. They just look for any excuse at all to dismiss the bigger issue at hand.

Have any of you ever stopped and thought that maybe, just maybe, english isnt this users first language? Perhaps he (or anyone else for that matter that you find it necessary to humilate for poor grammer/spelling) didnt get the same education that you did growing up? Couldnt afford college? Born with a birth defect that affected learning ability?

Stop being such grouchy computer nerds and work towards a solution of the problem. Dont work at making a person feel so uncomfortable and ruin what may already be a suffering amount of self confidence.

Grow to other peoples cultures and accept them for who they are. If I walked around manhattan and bitched and moaned at every guy who came up to me trying to sell me a cd and said something along the lines of 'Sorry, but I cant buy this from you because your speaking differently than I do' - well that just wouldnt make for a very nice place to live, now would it?

And I dont smell BS at all, I smell someone leaving because of being made to feel so uncomfortable.

How old are you guys? Can ya'll just grow up?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
It took them so long to release because there is a new Intrepid2 System Controller -- it's not just a speed bumped machine with a new screen, it's got a new chipset.

Apple was also likely waiting on the 7448 for this machine, which looks like a failure to show.

We will probably see a speed bump quite soon.

The all new chipset likely means the machine will likely be around (even if it's a legacy machine) for at least 2 more years.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
So if this post is real you got a DOA notebook, big deal Apple are replacing it - welcome to the wonderful world of IT where things go wrong all the time.

Oh well have fun with your new notebook when it turns up.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
chefonthegony said:
and by the way I only been in the US for two years, Im from spain. .. So sorry for ****ing up the english everyone!!!!!!!!

Have you considered chilling out for a second, then posting what actually happened? I'm sorry but in IT things go wrong all the time, Apple probably made 10s of thousands of these notebooks, some are going to be DOA that is just life. Apple have done all they can do which is agree to replace the notebook for you, I know plenty of IT companies that would force you to send it in for repair.

MacMan22

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2005
I'll tell you what kind of company Apple is.

I am typing this on a brand new 12" PB. I received one this afternoon from Amazon. The screen started getting vertical lines 10 seconds after booting up. Apple Care said to take it to the Tysons Corner, VA store and have them confirm the screen issue. I walked out with a brand new replacement even though I didn't buy it direct from Apple. Those guys at the store were awesome to say the least. That's why I love Apple products.

jmufellow

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2005
Sorry about the powerbook though, if I were you I would wait for the next one and if it ends up being faulty, then I wouldn't blame you for ditching apple. But I highly doubt this will be the case.

:edit: weird...the fist part of my post was edited off (by a mod?)...what I said though was something of the effect of I don't understand why the OP keeps posting if he already basically gave this forum the finger.

chefonthegony

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
bigg apple
Yes I uderstand that when you making a large amount of products things happen, but im this angry because 2k is alot of money and some people are not rich , so people have to work hard for their pay checks

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
chefonthegony said:
Yes I uderstand that when you making a large amount of products things happen, but im this angry because 2k is alot of money and some people are not rich , so people have to work hard for their pay checks

I can understand why you are pissed, but like I've said 2 times already things go wrong in IT all the time. Notebooks are notorious for having things go wrong with them. If you step back from the problem for a second and look at it from the outside you'll see that 1) you paid $2000 for a notebook 2) it is DOA 3) you are getting a replacement. So you don't get to use it now, if you would chill out for a second instead of going off on an I hate Apple diatribe and considered your options you could try returning the notebook to the store you bought it from and getting it replaced straight away, or if you ordered it online you'll have to wait for Apple to replace it.

Nothing here is as bad as you make it out to be. If there is a problem with all of the screens on these notebooks how come people have seen them in store working? If this is a major issue complaining and ranting wont fix it, you have 2 choices 1) You get a new working notebook 2) You get your money back and buy another brand of computer. None of these options hurt me or anyone else on this forum in anyway, and I'm sorry people went off at you but you have to admit you did post with a rather angry attitude?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
mikemodena said:
Chances are they didn't know until they got shipped and people started calling. Atleast they are replacing your machine. Most other companies would tell you you're SOL.
Name one. Almost every reputable company would replace a product in this same situation.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
grapes911 said:
Name one. Almost every reputable company would replace a product in this same situation.

I think the guy means the OP would be forced to wait for a repair. Plenty of IT companies work that way unfortunately.

chefonthegony

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
bigg apple
Yes you guys are right and Im sorry, i was this looking to switch from PC to Apple and I couldn't understand how some something cost so much be dead. . . Its like buying a BMW and and when you drive it for the first time it die. . . But anyway sorry MacRumors, I will this never own a Apple

Take care ;) ;) ;)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
chefonthegony said:
So sorry for ****ing up the english everyone!!!!!!!!
What do you mean everyone? There was like 1 guy, and he seems to be banned now. You had 1 bad Apple, and now you're through with them? I don't understand. Did you enjoy it before it went bad? If so, wait for the replacement. If it sucks too, and Apple can't help you, no one here will fault you for taking your $2000 elsewhere.

Some people here are jerks, but most of us are pretty cool. Even if we can be spelling nazis sometimes (OS X comes with a built in spellchecker BTW). I suggest you sleep on it and come back when you feel better and are in less of a bad mood (though I completely understand why you are in a bad mood). I suspect you are just letting off steam and will feel better after it's fixed and you get to know us better. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.