Listen to songs from external Hard Drive

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ecks618, Jun 14, 2006.

1. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

I have a little bit of a problem, my MBP's hard drive is close to full with many of my files and important programs. My music (About 18gb worth) is on my external hard drive, When i try to copy to itunes, it makes a copy of all the songs in my music folder and says I dont have enough room for the music.

Is there any way to keep itunes from making a copy of the song, so I can listen to music from my external hard drive? Any help would be appreciated.

PS. I am not that new to Macs but this makes me feel so dumb

2. ecks618 thread starter macrumors 6502

ecks618

Forget it I found it, I cant believe i missed it 20 times when looking for it

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In the iTunes Preferences, under the Advanced pane, uncheck Copy Files To iTunes Music Folder When Adding To Library. :)

Or, don't worry about it. :p

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I have all my music on a network drive. I have the location of my iTunes library set in Preferences to be the network drive, so everything automatically ends up in the one place.

Annoyingly iTunes will sometimes revert back to the default, local location if the network is unavailable. I then have to manually change it again. Still, that doesn't happen too often.

5. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

I have about the same problem, but I just want to keep music of less than 4 stars (it took me a long time to rate 7 GB of music, and I hope it's useful) on an external hard drive, to have my favourite music with me on the road (it's hard to take an external hard drive with you everywhere)
    Is it possible to spit your music in two folders, each with the folders organised by iTunes in an easy way? (idealy: iTunes decides where to keep a file based on my rating, although this probably won't happen/ worst case: manually moving files around and redirecting in iTunes)