Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mfnd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
I am finding it very frustrating that it dosnt seem possible to listen to music on apple tv without having the TV on. Is there a way around this?

I have the HDMI going into my audio amp then into my television. I thought this would mean the speakers would still get the signal without the tv being on but when I turn the tv off the music stops playing.

I have alos tried using the optical out but same thing.

Anyone know how you can do this as its really annoying to have to sit and watch the album cover and time code when listening to music aswell as a waste of all the energy powering the TV for no real reason!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Another method is to actually go through your TV menu's and actually turn the display off. Its usually in a energy saver menu. Both my Samsung and Sony panels have the function.
I use it quite a lot, at night when I need to get to sleep and cant, I have the tv playing something from ATV, turn the display off and have something to listen to.

Mfnd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Cheers for the help, have the latest software but the optical still cuts out when TV is off. The HdMI is working with the TV in Eco mode though, didn't think of that! Just a pain going through the menus every time.

Cheers again

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
I don't know whether this will work for you, but I find that with my Sony-Yamaha combination, when I turn off the TV, the ATV goes into pause mode. Pushing the "play" button the remote gets it started again.

Mfnd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Wish I had tried that before-didn't think of that but it works. Just turn off tv then press play/pause again.

Cheers

techchallenger

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2010
I am finding it very frustrating that it dosnt seem possible to listen to music on apple tv without having the TV on. Is there a way around this?

I have the HDMI going into my audio amp then into my television. I thought this would mean the speakers would still get the signal without the tv being on but when I turn the tv off the music stops playing.

Anyone know how you can do this as its really annoying to have to sit and watch the album cover and time code when listening to music aswell as a waste of all the energy powering the TV for no real reason!

The trick is to have two connections, one for watching and one for listening:

ATV2 -HDMI----> TV--> RECEIVER
ATV2 -OPTICAL-> ----> RECEIVER

SonicStomp

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2010

What amp are you using? Are you using an HDMI switch or something else between the ATV, TV and Amp?

I have my ATV2 connected to my Sony amp via HDMI which in turn is connected to my TV via HDMI. With the TV OFF I still get audio through the Amp. I know that there was a bug with respect to simultaneous HDMI and Optical OUT but I believe that has been fixed with a s/w update.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
ATV --> HDMI Receiver --> TV

With that setup, it doesn't matter if the TV is on or off. You can also use the optical port simultaneously out to your receiver if it doesn't have HDMI.

Mfnd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Thanks for all the replies. It was a case of the TV pausing it. I have even found with the remote app on iPad/iPhone I don't even need the tv on at all to listen to music.

That is going ATV2>>amp>>TV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.