listening to radio stations

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shanner, Feb 28, 2005.

1. shanner macrumors member

Hi!
    Do I have to download Realplayer to listen to some radio stations, or is there an alternative? (when i try to listen to some of them Quicktime opens as default media player, but says I'm 'unconnected')
    I gather realplayer is pretty unpopular with some posters.
    If i do have to download it, do I have to pay for it?

<I did a search on these boards, but didn't find a difinitive answer>

Thanks!

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If the station is only available in Real format, then you'll need RealPlayer. It's free, go to www.real.com and click the Free RealPlayer button in the top-right corner. I don't know why RealPlayer is so unpopular, I've never had a problem with it.

3. russed macrumors 68000

russed

have you tried the radio stations that are in iTunes?

4. garybUK Guest

garybUK

5. doumbek macrumors member

For some radio stations (ie. AirAmerica) like everybody said you're going to have to get real or windows .

You can try searching through Shoutcast for the name of the show or radio station that you want. There might be an alternate link to your show that is iTunes friendly from there.

Shoutcast link

6. grobbins macrumors member

There is no difference between the Mac player available from the BBC links and the download available directly from Real. There is no installer for the Mac RealPlayer; you just drag it to your Applications folder and launch it from there.

7. Gerg macrumors regular

A new radio station that's started in Minneapolis/St Paul is broadcasting online in aacPlus. For the Mac, I had to download the VLC Player from here but it's a neat little app and works very well.