little advise please - new mac, ps3, display ...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by caccamolle, Mar 9, 2007.

1. caccamolle macrumors 6502

Guys,
    I'd like some help in a "strategic" decision, in part involving Macs, but then gaming, screens ..... The objective ? making best use of my money!

I need a new Mac, and I am looking to get a mac pro. Hence I will have to get a new display (well, in my case anyway).

I ordered a PS3 for some gaming and BR playback and need a display there as well. Here, ideally I would purchase a 1080p LCD.

Lots of money and I feel a bit uneasy about spending so much so quickly.

So, what would you think of getting just a 23" Apple display and, at least for now, use that for both my Mac stuff and the PS3 ? is this possible at all (now that I think about it, there's no HDMI on the Apple displays..DVI ?).

Another consideration is that Apple displays are way way overdue for some upgrades (in fact...HDMI ?), so may be timing isn't perfect (I know, it never is).

I was thinking the other way around also: just get a LCD panel and use that for both, but I would want that to be 42" and I suspect that for Mac stuff it would just be too big.

Any ideas. suggestions ?

2. awgoo macrumors member

i would go with an lcd. if it was me, i would go with a 26" or 32" at the most. you don't want a HUGE screen since you're using it as a monitor as well. find an lcd tv with at least a dvi and hdmi & at least two component inputs. if you can find one with two hdmi inputs and two components i would go with that. i have a 42" plasma. i've hooked my computer to it just to see what it would look like, and it was just way to big.

3. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I'd hold off on buying the Apple Displays, they are long overdue for an overhaul. Really, I don't know if i'd get one when the new ones came out, I think I'd go with a nice Dell LCD, they are pretty good quality, and I have had no problems using one (a friends, not mine so I don't use it all the time).

GL with all your purchases.

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

The Dells also come with a crapload of inputs, as well, so you could easily hook up your computer, PS3, and whatever else.

5. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

Why not a westinghouse LVM-37W3 display? Its a 37" 1080p LCD monitor
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16889234001

HDMI(R)-HDCP + L/R Audio 1
    DVI -HDCP + L/R Audio 2
    VGA/D-Sub/RGB + Audio mini jack 1
    YPbPr Component Video + L/R Audio 2
    S-Video+ L/R Audio 1
    Composite Video + L/R Audio 1
    L/R Audio out, Switched, Fixed Volume 1

those are its connectors. I've heard this monitor is great as a computer monitor. I just ordered mine from abt electronics which is a local store that pricematched neweggs price. Its currently out of stock at abt but it should be delivered to me by the end of the month and I'll give first hand review after that.

I use a dell 20" widescreen 2005FPW monitor for my computer and my xbox 360 and its nice but its not big enough and it doesnt support 1080p so I'd recommend the westinghouse.

Zack

6. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

The Westinghouse is nice.

The Dells do not have HDMI, which is what I would use for a PS3. Also, the components look horrible on the Dell. bleh.

I had a 37" hooked up to a mini and it was a little too big. I would go 32". Sharp has a 32" 1080P.

7. likeavaliant macrumors regular

i have an insignia 32" lcd and ive hooked my mbp up to it and it looked amazing. as long as it's in a comfortable position to use it both as a computer monitor and gaming tv (and regular tv) then you would probably enjoy it. although, it's just so big that it might not be the best option. but i would highly recommend it!

8. caccamolle thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks guys.
    I think, at least for now, I reached a conclusion: I am scre**d.
    I don't think it can be done: I need both a computer monitor and a TV set (HD) for the ps3. Dam.

9. caccamolle thread starter macrumors 6502

..and my westy (37w3) is going to be delivered this monday :)

I felt it was the "reasonable" thing to do. It should give me enough for ps3 and BR movies. I will have to buy a new monitor as well, I think, but this can wait.

Wow dudes, the cost of going HD all the way is piling up and, I mean, I have had a nice hd plasma for some years, but adding videocam and editing power, hd dvd players ...is a whole other story. Oh well, lets see how far I get.