little britain-Dennis Waterman

Discussion in 'Community' started by rogerw, Jan 7, 2005.

1. rogerw macrumors 6502

wots the deal with the DW character in Little Britain? Tell me

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

"So they want me to write the theme tuuuune, sing the theme tuuuune..."

I love that s***! :D

[​IMG]

3. rogerw thread starter macrumors 6502

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't really understand the question, what don't you get?? For some reason it's just funny, who knows (or cares) why.

5. RoadKill macrumors member

man, you guys are making me feel old!!

Dennis wrote and sang the theme tune to Minder a seventies/eighties itv show. It was released as a single and did quite well in the pop parade as i remember.

He also co-stared in Minder opposite George Cole. It was a crime drama comdey and was very good in the early years

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078657/

He was also married to Rula Lenska (spelling??) and there have been references to her in some sketches

Not sure why he is portrayed as being so small, prolly cause he's quite a tall bloke.

I suppose the joke is that he no longer gets work because he 'insists' on writing the theme tune, singing the theme tune.....

6. rogerw thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah -probably. although i do remember his previous appearences. Its just midly amusing they pick on him personally when all the other charactors are fictitious.

Mind you, still cant beat Rowly Birkin in the Fast Show

7. Benj macrumors regular

There are some other characters that are obviously meant to be real people:

The Michael Winner character who orders the posh meal with a pepperami and a lion bar.

The Tony Blair character with the camp helper.

Also, there is at least one other Waterman show where he sung the theme tune - he lived on a houseboat. Can't remember any more. It was rubbish anyway.

Little Britain - funniest programme on television by a long chalk. Except perhaps the bizarre Celebrity Big Brother on yesterday.

8. HowieBerry macrumors newbie

HowieBerry

In the first series they had a character called Matthew Waterhouse - who was the actor who played the annoying assistant that was killed off in the Davison era of Doctor Who.

So Waterman isn't the only actor they've picked on!

Again, he was played by David Walliams, and appeared in sketches either wanting to be a kiss-o-gram (or similar: usually the "leaving-the-room-o-gram was his most successful), or to show off his inventions to someone - who was totally not interested: "Snake and Snakes - It's like Snakes and Ladders, but with Snakes. It's fiendishly difficult - no one's ever completed it!"

9. rogerw thread starter macrumors 6502

alright, alright. but perleeze, i started this thread after a skinfull down the pub!!

10. HowieBerry macrumors newbie

HowieBerry

11. rogerw thread starter macrumors 6502

ha ha...no probs perhaps they should have an alcoholmeterclickometerthingy somewhere.

12. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

yeah there has been a few that he has "sang da feeeem tooon" on hence the bizare joke ( for the original posters benifit)

as for celeb bb. johm mcridick (yes i know what his name is ;) ) is the most hated (most loved by me) man in the uk at the moment

i dont know what i like about him.. its probably becasue he is a ****

anyway, im off for some bitty

13. rogerw thread starter macrumors 6502

Ha, my middle daughter has a lot to thank him for. After being grounded, I then watched his performance and, after, let her know that she wasnt grounded after all. (for fear of me being accused of acting like a miserable old git!)