Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onemacmini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Hertfordshire
Hi, my brother is into Thai-boxing and is comin up to a fight in march. i wanted to video his training and the run up. here are the few questions i have about videoing it.

1. how can i vedo him running down a road. i thought about a car but i need it to look real smooth like.
2 .the best way to video him training.
3.any other tips.
4. any good advice you can give.

much appreciated many thanks onemacmini

my camera is a sony dcr-hc22e.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
onemacmini said:
Hi, my brother is into Thai-boxing and is comin up to a fight in march. i wanted to video his training and the run up. here are the few questions i have about videoing it.

1. how can i vedo him running down a road. i thought about a car but i need it to look real smooth like.
3.any other tips.

1. The best way to shoot real smooth like without spending a buttload is to shoot from a car. It's really not that bad.
2. I really don't think there's a best way to film someone training. Just shoot from alot of angles, that way you have lots of different footage to choose from when editing.
3. If you have a tripod, use it for some but not all of the shots. Too much shaking fromhandheld footage looks amateur. And resist the urge to zoom in and out alot. Constant zooming is another trick to looking like a beginner.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
From a car it really will look that bad. Unless the car is going very slow, you're good at holding a camera steady, and you have something to help buffer the bumps in the road, it will be very shaky. You're much better off puttting it on a tripod from a distance and just pan across to follow him.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
onemacmini said:

3.any other tips.

1. shot from the back of a pickup truck with the tailgate down. Look at one of these http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/ it's a "poor man's steadycam" just what you need. Just some iron pipe and a weight but it works.

2, 3, 4 Read all you can about editing (NOT how to use some editing software, but the artistic end of it) Read up on film making. Get a pencil and some paper and make a real "story board" Above all else __get a decent mic.__ get a boom. People will put up will poor video quality but not poor sound.

Once you understand film editing you will know what kinds of shots you need long shots to establish the scene, insets and b-roll staff. and py atenion to stuff like continuelty of moton and the like or you will go nuts in post production.

You will need something like FC Express. iMovie lacks some basics that are needed for example you can't cuy=t sound and video on seporate tracks

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
aloofman said:
From a car it really will look that bad. Unless the car is going very slow, you're good at holding a camera steady, and you have something to help buffer the bumps in the road, it will be very shaky. You're much better off puttting it on a tripod from a distance and just pan across to follow him.
I've shot many scenes from vans. Looked great and steady, even at full speed.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
pdpfilms said:
I've shot many scenes from vans. Looked great and steady, even at full speed.

Agreed. Once the car is in motion keeping a steady shot isn't too hard. But keeping it steady if the car has to stop or start from a stand still is more difficult.

Lethal

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
onemacmini said:

3.any other tips.

what you are talking about is a classic music montage.

i'd say watch-a-bility is about 3 minutes in this case.with music.

an interesting way to "glue" the piece together is to
have him say...jump-roping. in the beginning he's doing
is slower or not quite expert like, then cut to other training
and sparring, punching bag..etc. then show him jump-roping
much faster, then cut to various other footage of him training.
then cut back to him expertly jumping rope and the impression
that he's mastered it.

It doenst have to be "jumping rope" but that just something to
illustrate the fact that hes getting better, that hes winning the
man vs himself senario.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.