Little-known facts

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

At a forum I used to visit, someone started a thread which consisted of nothing but little-known facts. Some very obscure but interesting things came out of that topic, so I thought I'd invite all of us here to contribute something.

Richard Hooker (aka Dr. Richard Hornberger), the man who wrote the book "M*A*S*H", liked the movie version written by Ring Lardner, Jr. (he saw it seven times when it came out), but he detested the TV version. Hooker had modeled the Hawkeye character on himself, and he was a conservative Republican as, believe it or not, the movie version was supposed to be. Hooker disliked the liberal Hawkeye of the TV series and thought of the show as unpatriotic claptrap. Though he confessed to enjoying the money it made him, he said he was not sorry to see the show go.

Post-It Notes were invented because a church choir director got tired of marking his hymnals with index cards, which tended to fall out of the books, and wanted to come up with something that would stick to paper, yet be easily removable. Since this man was also an engineer at 3M, he approached them with this potential product idea, but saw it dismissed several times before anyone took it seriously and let him design an actual product. Needless to say, it's made a lot of money for 3M since then.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

In Oklahoma, dogs must have a permit signed by the mayor in order to congregate on private property in groups of three or more.

In Minnesota, it is illegal to cross state lines with duck on your head.

It is illegal to walk down a street in Maine with your shoelaces untied.

In Los Angeles, it is unlawful to hunt for moths under a street light.

In Pennsylvania, it is illegal for a man to purchase alcohol without written consent from his wife.

In Alaska, it is illegal to look at a moose from the window of an aircraft or another flying vehicle. It is also illegal to push a live moose out of a moving aircraft.

In Nebraska, a parent can be arrested if his or her child can't hold a back a burp during a church service. While in Alabama it is illegal to wear a false moustache which causes laughter in church.

In Idaho, a citizen is forbidden by law to give another citizen a box of candy that weights more than 50 lbs.

In Texas it is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.

4. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

brawhahaha oh god the last one alone is a true classic

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If you could stand with your arms stretched out to either side and still measure the difference between your fingertips, you'd find that it's the same as your height.

You should never eat a polar bear's liver. It's so rich in vitamin A that you'd overdose.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Michael Jackson can.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

As seen in the Vitruvian Man, by Leonardo da Vinci:

Especially if the polar bear is still alive.

Attached Files:

9. ijustin macrumors newbie

Those cows which have black and white spots.. well their tails always grow out of a black spot!

10. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Overly BIG facts !

These get better the further you go...

If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.

(Hardly seems worth it.)

If you farted consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb..

(Now that's more like it!)

The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the body to squirt blood 30 feet..

(O.M.G.!)

A pig's orgasm lasts 30 minutes..

(In my next life, I want to be a pig.)

A cockroach will live nine days without its head before it starves to death. (Creepy.).

(I'm still not over the pig.)

Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories a hour.

(Don't try this at home, maybe at work)

The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The female initiates sex by ripping the male's head off..

("Honey, I'm home. What the...!")

The flea can jump 350 times its body length It's like a human jumping the length of a football field..

(30 minutes...lucky pig! Can you imagine?)

The catfish has over 27,000 taste buds..

(What could be so tasty on the bottom of a pond?)

Some lions mate over 50 times a day..

(I still want to be a pig in my next life...quality over quantity)

Butterflies taste with their feet..

(Something I always wanted to know.)

The strongest muscle in the body is the tongue..

(Hmmmmmm......)

Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people..

(If you're ambidextrous, do you split the difference?)

Elephants are the only animals that cannot jump..

(okay, so that would be a good thing)

A cat's urine glows under a black light..

(I wonder who was paid to figure that out?)

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain..

(I know some people like that.)

Starfish have no brains..

(I know some people like that too.)

Polar bears are left-handed..

(If they switch, they'll live a lot longer)

Humans and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure.

(What about that pig??)

11. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I assume this is for the female pig, as otherwise all male pigs would die of dehydration afterwards. ;)
    However, I'm intrigued - how was this measured, and how do we know that it wasn't being faked to make the researcher or the male pig feel better?

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Dolphins can have sex for up to 16 hours a day - I remember being astonished when I read it but now have no recollection of where it was.

14. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I haven't a clue.

15. applekid macrumors 68020

I think I pulled a muscle in my neck trying to do just that... :eek: *sigh*

16. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

The stories behind those laws must be even more interesting. In other cases, I would like to have been a fly on the wall to see how they came into being. There are more, I figured I would sprinkle them throughout the thread if it grows.

17. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

pound for pound, a lemon has more sugar than a strawberry.

18. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Following Xtremehkr's lead- in Denmark you must check under a car for sleeping children before starting the engine.

19. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

:confused:

20. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

A pig has a corkscrew penis. You don't want to come back as a pig.

21. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

about 97% of computer users dont know this one "MACs are better than PC's"

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Upon reading this thread, the average MR member googled "corkscrew penis" (using a search bar, natch, of which most PC users have never heard), while trying (and failing) to touch their elbow to their nose, and thinking about what it would be like to have a thirty minute orgasm, and what that has to do with dehydration. :D

EDIT: And upon getting the Google results, still doesn't really understand what a corkscrew penis is. :(

23. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Some to ponder over...

Madrid is the only European capital city not situated on a river.

Since 1896, the beginning of the modern Olympics, only Greece and Australia have participated in every Games.

The longest English word that can be typed using the top row of a standard qwerty typewriter (allowing multiple uses of letters) is 'typewriter.'

A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

24. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Actually, if one allows both the inner and outer portions to be considered the elbow (if not, what's the inside of the bend called?), you can touch youir nose to your elbow.

25. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Actually, you can also include Bonobos (So called Pigmy Chimps). They have sex with almost everyone in their group, except parents and siblings, constantly, all the time, and not for procreation. Its part of their culture, reassurance and reinforcing bonds (and I assume its pleasurable as well). intersetingly, they are the only animals besides humans that choose to have sex facing each other a good deal of the time.