Little Question re: AirPort Express

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bLiss, Mar 19, 2007.

1. bLiss macrumors member

bLiss

Is AirPort Express known to be a little quirky in its range? Mine is right under my desk, 3 feet away from my new MacBook, and sometimes the radar dips down to just 3 or even 2 bars. Kind of silly, no? I live in an apartment building where there are literally dozens of wireless networks within my range (although my computer only connects to my network, yes I checked). Might this have to do with the interference? Thanks for any comments.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

do you have a cordless phone nearby? a microwave? both can and will interfere with the signal.

3. bLiss thread starter macrumors member

bLiss

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you can try using the interference robustness to increase signal strength, but it does limit your range a little. since there are other wireless networks they could be messing with your strength too, as well as if anyone else is using a cordless phone nearby if your in an apartment complex or such (i have bad experiences with them cutting my reception totally).

i do find it odd that it drops when your so close which is why i think there must be an outside factor playing a role. :eek:

if you notice issues you can also play with the channels to see if one works better for you.

5. bLiss thread starter macrumors member

bLiss

Ok I'm assured now that my AirPort isn't defective :) Thanks for the suggestions.