little things

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mkaake, Apr 19, 2004.

1. mkaake macrumors 65816

Apr 10, 2003
    a few little things that i've noticed since the jump from 9 to x.3

1) (kind of funny) the help app still says under "what's new" - "Improvements and new features in Mac OS X v10.2
    kinda funny

2) text edit has already far and away passed appleworks in terms of usefullness. It's got the features of the word proc and it actually checks your spelling as you type. kind of bugged me that you can have your spelling checked as you type in mail and text edit, but Appleworks doesn't...

3) startup time actually smacks my OS 9 machine into the ground. It's pretty shocking (but nice)

4) ripping/encoding at 10x instead of 1.2x in itunes is kind of addicting.

5) i've actually gotten my wife to have a 'moment' with the mac... (slideshow of wedding pics of a wedding we had just gotten back from, and then exporting to a quicktime movie for the couple all in a matter of about 3 minutes from the time i plugged in the camera)

lovin it up! just wish they'd update appleworks into something better... you don't have any problem seeing it's roots ;o) still looks like it belongs in OS 8... which is funny, cause we all complain about bloated word procs, but i think this one is a little 'under-stuffed'....

2. HexMonkey Administrator

Staff Member

Feb 5, 2004
    New Zealand
    Glad to hear you're enjoying it. :)

I agree with you on AppleWorks, I think the last major update was over four years ago. It doesn't take advantage of many OS X technologies, and its interface is out of date. Most of the things are just little, like Classic style icons (eg zoom buttons at the bottom of each window), not having proxy icons (document icon in the window title) etc, but they add up. It would really help if it had support for Mac OS X services, such as the spell checker. It doesn't look or feel like a Mac OS X application should.