Liu Xiang: Olympic hurdler extraordinaire

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Aug 28, 2004.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Did anyone see that hurdle race with Liu Xiang of China?
    That dude freaking flew!
    He left all the black guys in the dust!
    I couldn't believe it!
    That's the fastest Oriental alive ha ha!!

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

3. mypantsaretight macrumors newbie

4. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

PS Asian people are not Oriental. They are Asian. Oriental is a kind of rug. This particular man is Chinese.

5. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I was too lazy to type this but am glad someone else did. Plus you put it better than I would have.

6. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Uhhhm, I'm of Asian heritage but I don't find it insulting.
    I think I have enough sense to know when someone is being vicious, snide, or insulting or just being carefree and open.

Liu also tied the Olympic record for that particular event. RICE POWER!!!
    :D

7. friarbayliff macrumors regular

Well regardless of whatever cultural jargon people are trying to throw around here, that guy was friggin awesome.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

W00t!! The power of rice! It powers the people and small cars of the East! :p

(I have no problem being called Asian or Oriental. Sometimes things aren't meant to be so formal....)

9. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

JesseJames, neither your ethnicity nor your degree of sense makes it right for you to throw "Oriental" around in a public arena when you are learned enough to know better. It may make you seem more hip with the Occidentals, but it is still inconsiderate.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well I don't think its a big deal. Even chinese people use oriental sometimes. Is it wrong? It doesn't seem so wrong, and even if it is, its not that big a deal. No worries, as they say.

What's an Occidental?

11. nizz macrumors regular

it's a-ok.... 100% sure it's just an innocent mistake.

12. goodwill macrumors regular

hey back to the topic- this guy honestly glided over every one of these hurdles. i think the best way to put it is, a white man, an asian man, a canadian man or any other light skinned man normally doesnt whoop most peoples asses in a race like this the way he did and with such grace. when i watched it (and im not racist), i couldnt help but look to see if there were any black guys in the race as his competition and there were and he still smoked them. truly an athlete.

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the Orient (aka. "the morningland" at least in german because the sun goes up there): roughly the middle east or islam influenced regions

the Occident aka. ("the eveningland" because the sun goes down in the west): western europe

so an occidental is a western european kinda guy

14. Mark James macrumors regular

In the sprint hurdles you can get away with being a 10.4 second flat 100m runner if your hurdling technique is strong enough.

Let's talk race again, eh?! The victories of Xiang Liu, Yuliya Nesterenko in the women's 100m, Jeremy Wariner in the men's 400m, Fani Halkia in the women's 400m hurdles, Yuriy Borzakovskiy in the men's 800m, and Xing Huina in the women's 10,000m have been very encouraging for the future of track athletics.

Before these Games started, the only non-black or North African victory I'd have confidently predicted would have been Paula Radcliffe (had she a. been 100% and b. not entered the marathon!). It was starting to look as though the equal quality of preparation, training, diet etc available to *all* elite athletes had resulted in track races being decided more by genetic heritage than by any other factor.

15. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I don't understand why its offensive. Oriental also applied to pacific islanders who could easily be confused with asians.

16. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Why is any word offensive? Presumably the same reason.

17. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    The only reason that comes to mind is the intent behind it.

18. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Some words become offensive because they are used by the dominate culture to stereotype or put down a minority group. I'm *guessing* this is the case.