Live 8

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Jun 1, 2005.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

2. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Don't think it will make a bit of difference. I don't fault them for trying though.

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

So no one cares about this HUGE event then...:rolleyes:

4. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

I really do believe this will not make any difference. Raising funds by doing these kind of shows helps, politicians just don't mind. Especialy when it's about world politics.
    It will be a nice concert and some people will have fun. A lot of people will earn money and nothing will change.

Sorry about the pessimistic view on this :eek:

edit: just maybe, in the long run, more people will be aware of the problem and possible solutions. So there is good in this after all :).

5. Zaid macrumors 6502

I'm actually quite tempted to go up to Edinburgh for the march on the G8 summit. Hopefully they get the numbers they're looking for

6. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

This time it isn't about raising funds, it's about pressuring political leaders to get their arse in gear, drop the debt, and make trade fair.

7. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

It's a worthy cause, but I can't help but find it a little misguided. They're encouraging people from all over to pay money to travel to a venue, pay for a hotel, for a music concert which will earn no proceeds for the cause they're supporting?

Maybe I'm just too cynical, but I always thought charity was about directly helping the cause you champion, not indirectly nudging people to do that job for you. Or, at the very least, doing a bit of both.

Don't get me wrong, I wish the cause all the best, but I feel they're going about it the wrong way.

8. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

But the point is that just raising a few million won't make any difference in the long run, and they can't change themselves what really needs to be changed. All they can do is apply as much pressure as possible to those who can. The whole point is to nudge other people in to sorting it out, those with the power to make the changes.

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The G8 summit is at Gleneagles which is 45 minutes drive from Edinburgh. There isn't going to be much marching on the summit itself unless you enjoy hillwalking - and even then, they've put up a huge security fence. My mother works nearby and says that it's already getting a little paranoid there.

Since the leaders will most likely fly into Edinburgh and then helicopter from there to Perthshire, they're unlikely to see much of any protest. The additional policing costs of a million people descending on Edinburgh is more likely to affect the Edinburgh taxpayers than the world leaders.

Raising awareness of world poverty is good - although I suspect many people will pay their 50p for a wristband and think they've done their bit. Most of those applying for tickets (despite giving their £1.50 to the cause) will just want to see a good concert for nothing. The trouble is that part of solving world poverty would mean people in developed countries paying more for their goods and services which are made in poorer regions. While Joe Public is more interested in their pocket than the world as a whole, that ain't going to happen - and a concert/protest is unlikely to change that.