Live audio processing on iBook?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by crenz, Jul 3, 2003.

1. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Anybody here got experience with audio processing on an iBook? I'm thinking of buying a friend's 600 MHz iBook, and I'd like to run Reaktor on it. The problem is, I want to do live processing, ie. use the signal of my bass to trigger effects and layer loops on top of each other. Is the G3 powerful enough for that? How does the G3 compare to the Pentium II/III processors?

As an aside, what audio interfaces are people using for their laptops? I'm currently looking into Edirol and Midiman USB interfaces as they seem a lot cheaper than the Firewire offerings out there.

2. howard macrumors 68020

howard

well the ibook will be slow...it might be able to handle it though. for audio it would be a lot faster than a p3.

midimans usb interfaces are cheap...and there also kinda cheap sounding...but there not THAT bad. edirol i don't know much about

3. frescies macrumors regular

WHOA WHOA WHOA....

AM I UNDERSTANDING THIS RIGHT???

There is a way to plug your bass/guitar into a computer and use the computer to process effects (like pedal effects)??????!?!?!!??!?!?!??!

Please point me to websites on this if that is indeed what you are talking about!?

If it's not.... uh... uh....... OH MY GOD, WHAT'S THAT OVER THERE!!!!?????

::runs away::

4. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

you NEED to check out Ableton Live! i've been using it live and in the studio since it was released a few years ago. it will blow your mind. it can do all you're asking and a ton more. it's built for the sole purpose of live performance. it records, stretches, add fx, a million other things all on the fly in realtime. it's OSX native and ROCK SOLID. you can thank me later, if you ever stop playing with Live long enough to look at the internet ever again. http://www.ableton.com

5. crenz thread starter macrumors 6502a

crenz

tjwett, thanks for the hint. I never heard of that one before; I only knew about Max/MSP and Reaktor. So what kind of machine are you using with Ableton Live?

6. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

i'm running Live with Reason for live performance and those two plus Logic in the studio. i cannot stress to you enough the sickness of Ableton Live. download the demo. you'll never look at writing music the same way again.