Live From CPAC

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by joepunk, Mar 4, 2007.

1. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

A reporter from The Nation—Max Blumenthal—takes us behind the scenes at CPAC, the conservative conference where Coulter called Edwards a ******. It’s great stuff. Gotta love his short exchange with Michelle Malkin and his interview with, er, a black Republican. And be sure to catch Blumenthal’s follow-up question for Coulter.

YouTube video here

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- and why do conservatives get upset when people call them fascists again? Someone please remind me. Unreal video. True colors eventually show through, don't they?

I felt bad for that poor Latino Republican college student. She had to be really uncomfortable.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I find the fact that a prospective presidential candidate can cosy up to such an unspeakable slimeball as Ann Coulter, and purport to be a serious candidate while espousing the lunacy of Mormonism, absolutely shocking.

4. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Thanks, this video was great. What a joke Mitt Romney is.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That...was...everything that's wrong with conservatism.

You gotta love Bob Barr: "The conservative movement has lost its way, in many respects because of its too-close association with the Republican party." Yeah, those damn Republicans -- not nearly wacko enough for true, red-blooded conservatives.

And David Horowitz: "Every leftist is in his heart consumed with hate." He couldn't be more wrong. Instead, how about "Every leftist is in his heart consumed with, 'Why don't you conservatives just leave people the hell alone?'"

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Maybe I'm just trying to be reasonable, but that seemed like spliced together crap. I thought Max seemed to come out on the negative side of almost all of those exchanges, from the get go. He's just trying to egg people on and has no respect for honest debate. What a loser.

And Skunk, I agree with you. Any candidate willing to cosy up to Anne Coulter has no credibility whatsoever.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yeah, i pretty much agree with you. i've read a number of his pieces, and have linked to at least a handful in this forum, but this video -- as fun as it may be to hate on rightie nutjobs -- lowered my opinion of him somewhat.

he'd get more mileage out of striving for journalistic integrity, imho, rather than this kind of baiting.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

On the other hand, if that's all it takes to bait them...

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

emphasis on he in "he'd get more mileage...". certainly, colbert and others can do this kind of baiting more competently, i just had thought of mr blumenthal as more a journalist than would-be satirist. emphasis there on "had".

not getting malikin to sign a photo of a japanese internment camp isn't nearly as damning as, say, al frankin getting GOP candidates to accept checks from obviously-dodgy organizations.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I agree with you and Mr. Skunk on this one.

I think that hell just froze over. :eek:

On a side note, Anne Coulter is a scary individual.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

HANG ON, I'M CONFUSED.

i'm thinking of sidney blumenthal -- he's the journalist who i like. who the hell is max blumenthal?

i take back all that stuff about being disappointed in mr blumenthal. but the video effort was still a little weak, imo.

sidney blumenthal's reputation remains intact.

i've been fighting the flu since wednesday, i'll blame my confusion on that and the associated feverish delirium.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

To be fair, he's since very quietly and half heartedly distanced himself from her. He should have known what she was like from her previous exchanges (last year she said something about ragheads) before giving her such a glowing intro, but he was trying to suck up to the base. He's in a really difficult position right now that I don't envy. Further disavow or embrace?

That's what CPAC is.

Coming from him, that's pretty funny.

Some of it was unfair. Like the baiting with the anti-immigration people, though that kid was wearing a Confederate flag, this wasn't the KKK here. And he certainly was trying to get the worst of the bunch. But it wasn't just him seeing the bad over the good. I thought the disillusioned Latino girl was the best part, showing that there were people there who wanted to support the conservative ideals, but had issues with the direction the party seems to be headed.

Pretty accurate assessment IMO, looking at the Bill Maher "I'd be a conservative if only they would" mindset.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm not sure he was totally unfair. Granted he went after the low-hanging fruit. The kid may not've been KKK, but the Confederate flag is still something that's hard to defend.

14. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Unless it's on top of the General Lee :cool: