Live mixing ?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Macnoviz, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

I have some experience editing video and stuff. I am currently using FCE, but I am looking for software for live mixing. The goal is to do a short "show" of some sorts for a (small) live audience, mixing prerecorded videos, live video, images and audio. It's amateuristic and low-budget, but it would be nice to have it all go smooth. The alternative would be manually changing the input of a projector, but that's not really elegant.

Any ideas?

2. -DH macrumors 65816

I'm not aware of any reasonably priced Mac compatible software for live mixing. On the Windows side, there's always the Video Toaster and TriCaster from NewTek.

But that doesn't mean you can't live capture a live mix in FCP or FCE on a Mac. I do several live, multi-camera shoots every year with this set up:

· All cameras connected to a video switcher/DVE (I use a Sony DFS-300 or a Panasonic WJ-MX50).

· All audio sources (room mics, board feed, etc) connected to an audio mixer.

· Output of the audio mixer AND the video switcher/DVE goes to a Sony DVCam VTR.

· Firewire out from the DVCam VTR goes to my Mac.

· In FCP, set Device control to "Non-Controllable Device" and use Capture Now.

· A second output from the video switcher/DVE goes to a DA then on to projectors for I-Mag.

I do run tape in each camera as a backup and also record the live mix to tape in the VTR in case of a capture problem - it can happen.

-DH

3. -DH macrumors 65816

4. Poeben macrumors 6502

Take a look at Grid Pro. They also have a cheaper version, but I don't know much about it.

5. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Sounds like VJing to me ... :)

Sounds like all you need is the software to perform (assuming your using a laptop for FCE or willing to drag along your mac). Check that wiki article above and this BBC How to Guide. Free Mac VJing software is not plentiful.

peace | neut

6. Macnoviz thread starter macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

Thanks everybody!

I read the BBC article, and after trying those and other programs, I think I'll use Arkaos VJ. It's absolutely what I was looking for and dead-simple compared to the alternatives. Cameras are plug-and-play, and everything is controlled with the keyboard. I can even make my own effects in Flash