Live multitrack recording with garageband I NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by xpiotiavos, Mar 2, 2007.

1. xpiotiavos macrumors newbie

Ok, so, I'm trying to record a live coffee shop show using as Presonus Firepod and Garageband on my macbook. I have no problem getting the 8 real instrument tracks to record in Garageband, and I have no problem using the firepod strictly as a bank of preamps. But I cant seem to do both at the same time.

The board I'm using is a Mackie CFX16 (yes, it's a piece of junk, but it's all i've got). So I'm trying to figure out how to run all my channels into the firepod and out to the sound board AND to the recording at the same time.

I've got both my Garageband and my System audio preferences set to read from and go out to the firepod. But the problem is that the signal that goes back to the firepod (and then to the board) is the master output from garageband, not each channel individually. In other words, the signal sent into channel one on the firepod ends up going out all 8 channels instead of going to the output of only channel one, so I end up with 8 mixes instead of 8 individual channels.

I know the easiest way to make this happen would be to use a board with direct outputs, but i don't have access to one, so i'm trying to figure out something else.

If you understood any of that and have any idea how to fix the problem, PLEASE let me know as soon as possible.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Why do you have the Mac sending audio back out?

I take it you are mixing the live show as well as recording?

The inputs to the Mac interface should be taken off Aux outs of the Mackie, making the recording system a parallel loop separate from the live signal path There should be no reason to feed Mac audio back out to the room, much less 8 channels discretely.

Your Mackie has
    "2 Pre/Post Aux sends and internal/external FX level sends on each channel"

Take a cable from there to the Presonus input for each of 8 channels, or if you are submixing then take the key inputs individually, and sub-groups out for the rest.

There is little or no need to print effects to Garageband, you can add these later.

3. buswheel macrumors newbie

Why are you going through the computer first? I know the pre amps on the mackie aren't great, but doing this does create a delay, which is something you don't normally want with live sound, especially considering the intimate coffee shop setting.

For a venue like this I would suggest you use a good stereo microphone (I used a rode NT4 the other weekend which was pretty good) to get the main mix, and then using either the direct outs (TS 1 Click in the inserts for mackie boards), auxillary outputs, or the group outputs to boost those areas which you think are lacking in the mix from the microphone (normally vocals, and softer instruments).

4. buswheel macrumors newbie

Why are you going through the computer first? I know the pre amps on the mackie aren't great, but doing this does create a delay, which is something you don't normally want with live sound, especially considering the intimate coffee shop setting.

For a venue like this I would suggest you use a good stereo microphone (I used a rode NT4 the other weekend which was pretty good) to get the main mix, and then using either the direct outs (TS 1 Click in the inserts for mackie boards), auxillary outputs, or the group outputs to boost those areas which you think are lacking in the mix from the microphone (normally vocals, and softer instruments).

5. xpiotiavos thread starter macrumors newbie

I know all too well that the setup isnt ideal, but with the equipment i've got, going through the computer first is my only option. My board doesn't have direct outs, and it only has two pre-fade and two post-fade aux sends (the two post-fade sends are the effects sends), and I need to record 8 channels. I also have to have the two pre-fade aux sends available for monitors so the musicians can hear what they're doing.

I could use the inserts on each channel to send signal to the firepod, but that still means that I would be running signal through the computer before it went to the house, which means that I'd still be getting a mix coming out of each channel on the firepod instead of each channel discretely.

As far as a delay goes, it's definitely there, but I'm pretty sure I would be the only person in the room who would notice (we ran a practice last night, and I ran the signal through the computer out to a monitor for the band, and they didn't notice).

I'm beginning to think that it's not going to happen unless I can find a board with direct outs, but I'm definitely open for any suggestions.

buswheel, i just skimmed through the manual for my board and it suddenly registered with me what you meant when you said TS click 1. Thanks for that tip. That probably solved everything. THANK YOU!

6. xpiotiavos thread starter macrumors newbie

the show went great, and the recording sounds perfect (now i just wish i had some better editing software than garageband... on well). thanks for the help!