live Streaming .mov files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by metalray@mac.co, Mar 26, 2007.

1. metalray@mac.co macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

I am sorry if this is a little basic and might be in the wrong area:
    I am currently using a :apple: MacBook duo with 1.5gbits of ram and have it connected to an external firewire DV camera geting ready to record a church sermon with quicktime pro to publish on a website (compression: Mpeg4). I do so and it works without issues. But recently queries of live streaming for the elderly and unavailable have come into play and once again I'm in line for conquest.
    The church uses a windows based server and has never performed such a duty other then assembling access to the web site. All the systems are connected within a network and abviously the internet.

Is it possible to somehow stream to the server for it to compress appropriately for the website for live web streaming? I know that the current recording .mov files are a bit unwieldily with grabbing it and distributing them in a fly with just any normally eligible software.
    I am aware that an os x server would be appropriate with quicktime pro broadcaster but that is currently not available.

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Is this live streaming, or streaming recorded video to people after the fact?

To stream live video, look into VLC. Linkety To stream recorded video... just compress the video, use MPEG-1 if you can spare the bandwidth, if you can't, then use MPEG-4.

3. metalray@mac.co thread starter macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

I believe VLC is only capable of prerecorded material. However I am in need of a live stream conclusion. I usually put prerecorded material on the web as a full file considering usability and ease. But I will take a look and report my findings.

4. metalray@mac.co thread starter macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

My joices are as follows:
    1. UDP Unicast/Multicast
    2. MMS
    3. RTP Unicast/Multicast
    4. HTTP
    Which is the most efficient for my means?
    And is not Quicktime pro capable of the equal?

Now that I am able to send a constant feed to the server, how do I stream it to the Internet by the server?

Camera -----------> Recording Computer -----------> Server -------------> Internet

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo