Live TV in a Mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cesar, Jul 9, 2004.

1. cesar macrumors member

How can I get live *uncompressed* TV/Cabel/DirecTV/Dish signal directly to a PowerMac G5? not like elgato, I would be recording, I just want to use the apple LCD display as a TV. full-screen mode or windows mode....???

2. shake macrumors regular

i use Miglia's Alchemy TV PCI card (g4 version with FM tuner) on a dual 533 g4 (10.3.4) and it rocks. much better quality than any USB TV solution. also has composite and s-video inputs for capturing from an external source (like VCR, DVD etc). picked it up for less than $150.

i can watch tv in a window (640x480,320x240,160x120) or full screen.
    normally i just have a small window (320x240 or smaller) sitting on my desktop. great for watching hockey games while you work!

and the FM tuner is a bonus too! however, the G5 version of the card does not have the Fm tuner.

hope this helps.
    shake

3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

4. cesar thread starter macrumors member

thanks, man...

hey, does it take much computer resurces while playing the tv on the computer??

could you post a screenshot?

5. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Or you could use any analog>DV converter with firewire like a miniDV cam with RCA/S-video inputs, a Canopus or a Pyro DV.

The video will 720x480 resolution and can be displayed in iMovie (where you can also capture it too), evocam, Gcam or iChat AV.

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have an iBook G3 900, and would like to watch TV on it as well. Is eyeTV firewire the best solution for me?

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I think these cards use Zoomed Video, so taking a screenshot would just leave a blank window where the TV image would be... That's been my experience in the past with onscreen TV/video solutions.

paul

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on