"Living on the Internet"

Discussion in 'Community' started by King Cobra, Dec 9, 2002.

1. King Cobra macrumors 603

actually my father said that earlier today. :)

My father knows I spend a lot of time on the forums, but he thinks that it isn't healthy for me (internally).

Is it harmful, in anyway, to spend too much time conversing within the forums? This is especially to those with too much time on their hands, such as I do. :p

opinions/comments

2. vniow macrumors G4

I don't know, I spend a lot of time here but I don't have much else to do seeing as I'm jobless and all.........

I don't know if it's harmful or not, the internet hasn't been around long enough to look at the long term effects.

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

nah, it aint harmful, but not doing a tiny bit of other things could be ;)......

4. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

Well if I wasn't using the laptop on the toilet I would be watching tv so… Anyway 2 1/2 hours out of the day isn't that much.

Except for the fact that when I get off the throne I spend another 5 hours on it. Ahhh the light it burns, must go back to basement.

AHHH!!! There are eels in my hovercraft. AHHH!!!

5. job macrumors 68040

job

I'm a forum junkie...

This is my heroin... ;) :p

Mr. Spam

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

thereis a lot of heroin in my life if any addiction is now labeled
    'heroin' but no actual heroin :D.

7. job macrumors 68040

job

Heh. Interesting.

No illicit drugs for me.

2100th post

8. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well, is you spend too much time for too long (I mean a month) it is not that good. The problem is that you can develop some kind of dependency to the site (I have been there).

You can spend and waist hours here and after a month or so you will see your friends are a bit away and that you have been loosing some real time in your life.

The other problem would be that if you meet a girl that you like... what are you gonna talk about with her? ¿about macs? ¿about your friends in the forums?

I recomend you to spend more time doing real things or to spend tons of time in the forums until you get tired of it at once.

Besides, your lower back is gonna end up weaker and would be easy to feel some pain for spending so much tiem in the computer. You are gonna gain some fat and look all skin white (no sun light). You are gonna feel sleepy and tired because you teached your body to stay calm and you are gonna be up untild very late because you didn't burn energy during the day.

That is what your father was talking about.

9. vniow macrumors G4

Ms. Spam

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about......

D

11. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

I was watchng TV yes PBS (blushes) yeah anyway a professor from MIT said the internet will have a huge effect on countries. Right now we have around 200, expect that to double in 50 yrs due to internet :)

12. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

hehe, another basement dweller. I too eat, play ps2, listen to music, surf the internet, play games, etc down here. I only go up for more food, waste expulsion, school, sleep, and work.

As for the eels in thy hovercraft, DAMN that was a good Monty Python Sketch. "My nipples are exploding with light!" :D

(edited for a typo)

13. vniow macrumors G4

click

14. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Well, I spend like 3 hours on my computer a day, its not bad, I'm no freaky can't talk to girls guy. I'm a normal person who spends his home time on his computer.

15. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

I am not a "geek" or anything here :) I am a semi-goth industrial party person. I like to get high, drink, blow up things, go to concerts and spend time with girls. But got I can't stand most girls. ****ING POSERS DIE NOW!!! I need a übergeek girl with and über party side who is a über-rocker. [/rant]

16. vniow macrumors G4

Well when you look like this, I don't see how most girls can stand you either.....

[​IMG]

j/k, j/k, j/k [​IMG]

17. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

Yeah that's a bad pic of me. :) Let me see [​IMG] :D

18. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

Veronica where is your picture? We know you have a digital camera because of the scary photo of the desk

[​IMG]

19. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Re: "Living on the Internet"

You know, I find it kind of ironic that you came to this forum to discuss the harmful effects of being addict to forums. We aren't exactly the right audience to ask :).

20. vniow macrumors G4

Not exactly a digital camera, a Polaroid scanning in with an old HP all-in-one.

And I thought I already posted a pic........

[​IMG]

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

when'd you get the boob job there ed? :rolleyes:

D

22. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm seeing how computers & the internet has taken place of the tv for many people...esp. younger kids...

for me?

I spend a lot of time wired, sure...it just so happens that one of my business ventures is a web-based business...

www.thefotohaus.com ;)

23. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

I'm doing a research project (Yay! 12 College Credits!!!) on computer addiction, and so all my resaerch has turned up that to tryely have a dependency to something like a computer, or a fourm, then one generally has another dependency as well; i.e. drugs, or they get some sort of rush, like stealing. Also, if one is to have a different mental health problem, and they spend five or six hours a day, instead of going to work or associatring with their family (neglecting their life) then they VERY LOOSELY fit a VERY LOOSELY fit the defintion of addicted.

But I've only been doing my research for a little while (I smell Intel Project!), so don't count on much that I say.

24. vniow macrumors G4

What boob job?

Those are all mine honey.......

25. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

Can't see the Forest for the Trees...

Forget the boobs... where did you get that remote!!!

:cool: