Living Recommendations Raleigh/Durham

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by juicedus, Feb 9, 2006.

1. juicedus macrumors member

I just got a new job (YAY for me) in the Raleigh/Durham area and need some recommendations on good areas to live. I'm 24 and would like to live where the younger people are.

I'm moving from the Chicago area in just over a week. Also if anyone has any ideas what 1-bedrooms go for, I'd really like to know. I checked out apartment listings in the area but the prices are all over from $500-$900/mo and don't have a whole lot of pictures so I can't really see the quality of them.

2. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Haven't been there in a long time but Chapel Hill is quite a college town. Though traffic maybe be bad depending on where you are going to work (RTP or so?)

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The hot areas in Raleigh right now are Glenwood South, the stretch of Glenwood Avenue between Peace Street and Morgan Street (roughly one mile from downtown Raleigh), and the area immediately around North Hills Mall, which has just been completed after a multi-year renovation (virtual demolition and reconstruction) process. Both places have a very good selection of restaurants, condos, and apartments, and are busy virtually every night of the week with all kinds of people. If you're looking for a "New Urbanism" spot in Raleigh, either of those would fit the bill.

Ask your relocation person (if you have one) for apartment listings in either of these areas.

4. juicedus thread starter macrumors member

Cool. Thanks for the heads up Clay. I'll look around those areas when I get down there.

5. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Just don't look in High Point :\. That's where I go to school. It's basically a mall and car dealerships. Nothing exciting here.