Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Well I just sold me 12 inch powerbook on craigslist for $800. I thought it was a great price considering the market currently and I want to buy a macbook when they get updated. I know that it probably won't be soon and am set on waiting. I just hate getting the first revision of a product.

I will be going back to college in late August and am going to need something to use lightly in the meantime so I am buying a B&W G3 powermac on craigslist for $45. I think it's a fair deal considering the guy is dropping it off. It has a 400 mhz processor, 256 ram, a 9 gb hard drive, and OS 9.2.1. This computer is going to have to be able to surf the web, talk on instant messenger, and write a few documents. That's it.

My questions are:
1) Should I try working under OS 9 (which I've never used before) or try running opensuse linux on it (I haven't used that either)? Should I even consider OS X? I can get any of these OS's easily.

2) Is OS 9 easy to use and similar to OS X? What are some good programs for it for what I need it to do?

3) I have an old hard drive from a 1.4 Ghz Pentium 4 computer that isn't running. Can I install it on the Powermac?

Thanks for the help. This has to last me a few months!

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
OS X runs ok on a 400MHz G3. I have a B/W G3/400 at home and it runs alright.

As for OS 9, if you've never used it then you will probably be disappointed as it is a good OS, but just not OS X. It will feel primitive. As for what programs to run on it you'll have to be more specific than that.

You can install the Hard drive if it is an IDE drive.

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Well I want to use Word or Openoffice on the mac and I'd like to know what is the best application similar to Adium or ichat to use AIM. Also, I here that icab is the best browser. Is that true?

GimmeSlack12, how much ram does your powermac use and what version of OS X does it run?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
ricgnzlzcr said:
Well I want to use Word or Openoffice on the mac and I'd like to know what is the best application similar to Adium or ichat to use AIM. Also, I here that icab is the best browser. Is that true?

GimmeSlack12, how much ram does your powermac use and what version of OS X does it run?
I run Tiger (10.4) and it is clunky, but usable. I think it has 640mb of RAM and it uses iChat to do audio chat. As for iCab, it is the only browser that is still supported, I can't say if it is the best cause I haven't used OS 9 for a while now. iCab was decent when I used it back in the late 90's so I'm sure it is cool. Use this link to find all the browsers you want:
http://browsers.evolt.org/

As for Adium equivalent in OS 9 I am not sure. At that point I was only using AIM, I am not sure if a multi-client program was available for OS 9. Using Word or OpenOffice should work okay, but don't expect any miracles and I would imagine scrolling to be a real bitch. Appleworks would probably be ok (in 9 or X).

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Thanks. I think that if you're struggling to run Tiger with 640 of ram, I will definitely struggle with 256. It'll probably better to stay in OS 9 and use AIM instead of any other program and try to survive for a bit. Anyone recommend any good programs?

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
Get Panther or Tiger.

The hit in speed you'll take will more then be made up for with the lack of usability you'll experience in OS9.

Browsing the web will be... challenging.

I run Tiger lightly on a 450mhz Sawtooth, it originally had 256 and ran fine.

Your G3 will be fine in tiger I bet.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
I think you would be pleasantly suprised at how fast that computer runs OS 9, but like GimmeSlack12 said you'll probably be a bit disappointed by the OS itself. It's definitely more difficult to use and nowhere near as pretty. The machine will be just fine for you, though, assuming the new MacBooks get here soon!

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Thanks Baby Duck Monge. It's going to be interesting because there will be a small period where I'll be using a macbook pro and then most of it will be this powermac. The difference in feel should be amazing and it should make me appreciate my macbook that much more

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I have a shipment coming and a 400mhz, 256, 9GB, etc. B&W is in there. If you give me a week or so, I'll tell you how it runs Tiger.

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
does the B&W G3 use PC133/PC100 SDRAM? If so, i've got some spare sticks lying around that you can have for free if you pay shipping. I don't know what all i got right now, but i know i got like 4 or 5 of them. I think there are some 128s and 256s in there. Nothing to crazy, but a 256 would double you. PM me.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
JasonElise1983 said:
does the B&W G3 use PC133/PC100 SDRAM? If so, i've got some spare sticks lying around that you can have for free if you pay shipping. I don't know what all i got right now, but i know i got like 4 or 5 of them. I think there are some 128s and 256s in there. Nothing to crazy, but a 256 would double you. PM me.

Yes, they use PC133/PC100 RAM! :)

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
I sent you a PM JasonElise. I really do appreciate it. I believe I can get it running Tiger now!!!! Much appreciated everyone!

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
I forgot to ask, but how much hard drive space is needed to run Tiger? I won't be using the rest of the hard drive for the occasional word file and maybe a few programs so I don't need much

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
ricgnzlzcr said:
I forgot to ask, but how much hard drive space is needed to run Tiger? I won't be using the rest of the hard drive for the occasional word file and maybe a few programs so I don't need much

I ran Tiger on a 3GB HD in my iBook Clamshell. You should be fine with a 9GB. Don't install the printer driver's, fonts, languages and it will fit.

Ashtangi

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
All you need is more RAM. I've got a B&W 450mhz with 768mb of RAM, and I'm running 10.3.9. It's more than usable for me, I was definitely surprised at the responsiveness of it.

I'm debating upgrading to Tiger but I don't see the need right now. I've also done a few smaller upgrades: a Radeon 7000 (and thus enabling Quartz Extreme), a 120gb 7200rpm HD, a Pioneer A104 SuperDrive and a USB 2.0 card. It's a great machine.

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Great. I'm sure I will survive until the next macbooks. Thanks to everyone, specially JasonElise for the offer on the RAM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.