Living without a computer

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

OK, I have to go cold turkey for a week or so... well, semi-cold as I'll have my work Mac and PC but my beloved home Mac is all currently cold, dark and quiet and will be for a week or so.

Withdrawal symptoms almost instantly. Within minutes of yanking out the power cord, I felt a little sad. Later in the evening, this sadness had evolved into a craving to reconnect my favourite toy and mess round with it.

I can't fully access my emails, nor use the evenings for MR, watch DVDs or do a whole bunch of stuff that keeps the hours and days occupied.

Honestly, how do you feel when you don't have access to your Mac or your regular computer for a length of time?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

I hate it!!

But I often use that time to do things that are healthy for me and I should be doing...like going for a walk, a bike, reading...music.

3. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I feel your pain.

I just sold my iBook, and will be computerless (except for at work) for two weeks or so until I get a PM.

I'm barely home, so hopefully I can manage this hardship :D

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    All the symptoms of addiction-withdrawal come into effect, the shakes start, your brain can't think of anything else, you focus on how you can get your fix... disaster! I'm not so sure it's the computer itself; it's how dependent you get on having information at your fingertips and now having to wait that's the problem.

I suspect I'd have to line lots of things up to keep me out of the house and doing other things. I might arrange to meet people, go to shows/exhibitions I haven't seen yet or do something creative with hands so that I feel like I'm so busy I wouldn't have time to go on the computer if it was there.

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

there is always tivo :D

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I don't have much of a problem as long as I'm not in my usual environment. So when I'm travelling, hiking, whatever, I'm fine without a computer.

If I was at home, alone, all day without a computer (as opposed to home alone all day with a computer, as is usually the case), that might be hard. It would also be hard to create such a situation since I have six computers! I think the only way it would be possible is with a power outage.

That's hardly a fair comparison, though, since I wouldn't be just without computers, but also without TV, music, lights, etc.

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

That happened to me once. The power went out for the better part of the day. My home was so quiet. Everybody was away, except me.

I just sat in my chair looking stupid the whole time.

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Well, with a 4-year old running around the house, there's always something else to do, usually involving a path of destruction. ;)

I suppose, if all of our three computers were inoperable for a time and I had no means of surfing the net or watching a DVD, I'd be filling my indoor downtime reading books (I've a stack of 20 or so I have yet to read, and it seems like it's getting larger) and/or magazines. That's definitely the one recreation that has suffered the most since computing (well, just MR really) entered my life.

What's wrong with your baby?

btw, Lacero, I'm not sure how I was able to keep from replying to your post. Maybe it was just too easy...

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

giving up the computer always feels weird for a few days... then i realize how much more productive i can be without it ;) :D

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

11. oreomac macrumors member

It's so hard, I feel lost if I'm in my usual environment but if I'm on vacation then I can cope fine.

I'm sort of without the internet at the moment, as I've got my iBook but I'm staying at a friends house so I can only access the internet when he's not on his computer. :( I'm going to get a router so we can share the connection. I think it will be worth the money

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Blue, I really don't find this at all funny. Now, back in your box please ;)

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I love my Macs... but what I miss most is access to email (which, thank God, my phone can do when it chooses to have reception). And... MR. I love you guys. :eek: Seriously, I go through withdrawal when I leave for any period of time, then I feel embarrassed and like an outsider when I come back.

As far as the Macs themselves go, I miss them too... but not nearly so much as the connectivity they provide.

14. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    You guys should have seen the junkies at Jambo when they found out we had free working wifi hooked up to broadband.

I honestly didn't mind. Just like I didn't mind the 2 week trip to philmont the year before.

15. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

this is very tough espc. for those of us who depend on our cpus for more than work purposes. I feel your pain brother

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

*cough* sister *cough* ;)

17. dcv macrumors G3

Ahhh this is my area of expertise: * Retail Therapy is required! *

Proceed immediately to the Apple Store, Regent Street. Do not pass GO. Do not collect £200 (although actually this might help). Purchase a PowerBook/iBook and find yourself a little wifi hotspot and a nice cup of coffee to help you through this troubled time.

18. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

my thoughts exactly i would go insane if my three Macs were gone T_T

19. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Sad but true. If my Powerbook 'died' and had to be sent off for a number of weeks, I suspect I'd have to go and purchase something to tide me over...

20. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Glad that I am not the only one who would do that.

Now a PeeCee I could do without. :)

21. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good Advice.

Although, do stop for the 200 pounds. :)

22. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I personally find it a bit surprising and upsetting that none of our London members has offered BV a spare Mac to use. Shame, shame on you! ;)

23. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

24. emw macrumors G4

emw

It's difficult, but primarily due to being able to access the information I'm so used to - news, sports, MR, e-mail, etc. Being without it for extended periods is frustrating, even if planned for.

Unplanned outages are even worse.

25. jeffzoom macrumors member

Usually when me pooter "disipears", so does all other electronics. So when my tv,ipod, lappy, and access to anything electronc are gone, i end doing my homeowork for a change...