'Liz meets King George

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Link

This is a December 2004 article from The Economist. The main thrust is that the US is becoming more and more class stratified while Europe is becoming less so.

Why do Americans continue to believe that we live in a meritocracy? The article also points out that only during the "Gilded Age" of the 1880s were there as many wealthy Senators as there are today.

It's ironic in a way, the majority of low and middle income Americans who voted for bushco will actually see lower incomes for themselves and their children. While it must be admitted that there are many factors at play, his policies are only accelerating the socio/political/economic stratification of America.

2. Zaid macrumors 6502

Ugg, your post got me interested in looking up the latest gini coefficients

From Wikipedia
    (lower numbers denote less inequality)
    Those figures were originally sourced from the UN Human Development Report 2004. [Warning pdf link]

For a description on how the Gini Coefficients work see Wikipedia or Math World

3. tristan macrumors 6502a

I read this article. What was more compelling to me wasn't that the rich make a lot of money and the poor don't - it was that people who are born rich are more likely to stay rich, and people who are born poor are more likely to stay poor. To me, that's a sign that our educational system just isn't working very well and also that there's still a buddy system at the top where people are more likely to hire their cousin's kid's neighbor's fraternity brother than the best job applicant.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The system formerly known as the "old boys network." But that's only a small part of the problem. The other is the passing down of wealth, privilege, opportunity and access from one generation to the next. Now we know why Republicans want to do away with the estate tax -- because passing down privilege, opportunity and access isn't enough. Wealth has to be passed down as well, otherwise people other than those who were born into it might have a shot at the good life too.

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Which is why you've got dumb arses like bush and gang in charge,if they didn't inherit wealth they couldn't find their way home.