Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
I bought an eMac with Panther installed a year ago and now I have bought another eMac that has Tiger on it and it came with two DVD install disks.

Will I be able to use the Tiger disks to load a clean install of Tiger on the Mac with Panther on it. Or will the Tiger install disk be 'locked' to the mac it came with.

Also why do my Panther eMac DVD's have "Software Install and Restore" on them but the Tiger eMac DVD's just have "Mac OSX install" written on them.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
dogbone said:
I bought an eMac with Panther installed a year ago and now I have bought another eMac that has Tiger on it and it came with two DVD install disks.

Will I be able to use the Tiger disks to load a clean install of Tiger on the Mac with Panther on it.....

of course doing this would be in violation of the software license that came with the new emac.....but you know that already, right?

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
UPDATE:

Well this is a bit of a surprise. If I put the Tiger install disk into the eMac it came with there are options for reinstalling or just installing extras.

I put it into the old eMac just to see what would happen. I didn't even think it would be possible because I'm no longer an admin. I used to share the computer before I got my new one.

Anyway even though I don't have any passwords to the old eMac I was able to put the installer DVD into it and restart. When it restarted instead of the view I got on the other eMac it just said it was going to update the software. There were no other options to install or do anything else. So I let it go and it updated Panther to Tiger. I couldn't test it as I still didn't have permission to log on even though I could update the OS!

Turns out that it worked like a charm. Perfectly. Now we have two Tiger eMacs. It looks like it was meant to do this because why else would it have the option to update Panther to Tiger if it came on an eMac that already had Tiger installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.