loading up Shuffle

Discussion in 'iPod' started by CommonMan, Oct 15, 2006.

1. CommonMan macrumors regular

CommonMan

My sister just gave me an i-pod shuffle. I plug it into a usb port in my Mac.
    Then I can see it in i-tunes and it starts updating itself automatically. Everytime it updates itself, it just replicates the songs I already have on it!
    I would think that I could just treat the shuffle as another drive and copy and past songs onto it. Do I need to read I-pod/i-tunes 101?

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Turn off auto update. Select and delete the songs on the Shuffle. Drag whatever songs you want into the Shuffle. Enjoy.

3. CommonMan thread starter macrumors regular

CommonMan

One More Thing

Thanks Empty! I'll try it.

One more thing. What will happen if I plug my i-Pod shuffle into my PC's usb port?

Is there any risk of damaging the i-Pod?

I'm hoping the PC will just "see it" as a flash drive but I'm thinking the shuffle is probably formated for a Mac and won't be able to be recognized by the PC.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Here's what I do: I create a smart playlist in iTunes called "shuffle mix" which is restricted to the number of songs that will fit on the shuffle. When I update the shuffle, I do it from the "shuffle mix" playlist (which I refresh each time by selecting all and deleting). Works perfectly!

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

If you have iTunes on the PC it will open and ask if you want to associate the iPod shuffle with that library. If you select "Yes" it will erase the music from the shuffle and load music from the PC. This behaviour is unique to the shuffle, other iPods allow use with multiple libraries.

iPod shuffle are MS-DOS formatted so they are read/write enabled on both systems. In iTunes you can set how much of the drive you want to use for data storage (as a generic flash drive) and how much for music.

And just an aside, it's iTunes and iPod, not i-pod and i-tunes.

7. CommonMan thread starter macrumors regular

CommonMan

Thanks Again

Thanks Everybody for the info on the shuffle. I have learned a lot.
    Regarding the corrections on the correct spelling or formating of various trademark names - when I'm writing on a forum or emails, I don't care about the correct spelling or formatting of i-tunes or whatever. For me, this is about content and function not form. It's about transfering information and I appreciate the information I get on these forums. It's been terrific. If there's some rule that requires exact spelling and/or format - I guess I will have to adhere to that.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

There's no forum rule but it's just a general sign of courtesy and respect to make an effort to use proper spelling and formats, especially when referring to trademarked product names. It shows you are genuinely interested in getting a solution to your problem and respect the other forum members who are only too happy to volunteer their knowledge.

9. CommonMan thread starter macrumors regular

CommonMan

Shuffle in PC

I went ahead and put the shuffle into the USB port of my PC. I tried to add some MP3 files. I could see that they were on the i-Pod shuffle but the shuffle would not play these files. I suppose the files have to be added in i-tunes.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yes, iPods are loaded using iTunes.