Loading UT2K4 mods into os x

Discussion in 'Games' started by Soulstorm, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Please, can you recommend me a good UMod installer and a good Mod loader for unreal tournament 2004? I really need it. I used a umod installer, to install Unreal4Ever but the mod doesn't work when I start normally the game! Nor does it appear on the User Mods section!

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The best one I've seen is "drag & drop with your mouse".

Open the UT2k4 app package and put the pieces parts from the mod in the requisite place.

Just don't overwrite the directories in there..

But any mod you have that has a maps directory, copy the contents of that directory into the maps directory of UT2k4, etc..

3. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Not quite helpful.... What about .umod files? What do I do with them? And how do i load mods when starting the application?

4. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Instant Action

Go to Instant action to play these maps and mods. Also make sure you are downloading mods/maps for ut2k4

Here's my favortie site:

http://ut2004maps.com/

Then go HERE for instrustions of where to place the files once you control click the application UT2k4 and chose 'show package contents'

http://www.macsoftgames.com/products/ut2k4/support/MacSoft-UT2K4-Support.html

In a nut shell:
    Adding custom UT2K4 Maps (and mods)

If you want to add custom (3rd party) maps to your UT2K4 folder do the following:

Find your UT2K4 application icon.
    Control-click or right-click the icon.
    Click Show Package Contents.
    A window appears containing the folders you seek.
    Add the appropriate files to the correct folders.

Here is an extension list of UT2K4 extensions and appropriate folders.

.utx > Textures
    .ut2 > Maps
    .ogg > Music
    .uax > Sounds
    .usx > Staticmeshes
    .int > System
    .u > System

I hope this helps you.....

irie

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

What Irie said..

The mods are loaded automatically.

6. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I think you misunderstood. I have not the ZIP files but the UMOD files. And I AM LOONING FOR A WAY TO INSTALL THEM! I cannot see the contents of the UMODS so that I can install each part of the contents separately!

I also downloaded Santaduck's tools, which seem not to work, they always ask them to give a valid path to my UT2K4 application, and when I do, it says the path is not valid!

Any recommendations?

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Wow. Calm down. You're on your own.

8. diddy macrumors 6502

Downlaod the Santaduck toolpack. (from macupdate or versiontracker)
    There is a .umod installer in there that has always worked for me.

(edit: sorry. looks like you tried this. i appologize)

9. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Can you tell me what is the problem and santaduck's tools do not work? Or at least tell me your system and UT version so I can figure out what to do!

When I open the .umod installer, it asks for a valid Unreal tournament 2004 patch. But when I give it the location of my unreal tournament 2004 application, it tells me that the path given is not valid!

Why?

10. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

Hi Soulstorm,

we'll try to figure out your issue over at your post at Macologist. I'm sorry we haven't ironed out why some users are having this issue.

IMHO if DropUModOut is working, it's the easiest and most versatile utility to deal with uMods for most users. It's included in the Santaduck Toolpak for Mac UT2004.

Regarding running ucc & ut2004-bin (in the .app/system folder):

The umod command is
    ./ucc-bin umodunpack -l path/umodfile (to list)
    ./ucc-bin umodunpack -x path/umodfile -nohomedir (to extract to UT2004)

There are some undocumented path bugs in ucc so the easiest way is to drop the umod file into the ut2004 system folder, and in Terminal, CD to that folder as well.

Also, for mod launching, you can just launch from the Terminal... the quick & dirty way is
    ./ut2004-bin -mod=XXXX .

There are numerous issues with this method beyond inconvenience (/macos/contents is better, splash icon reference, userhome issues), so we've written launchers for all of the popular mods, over at our Downloads section at Macologist. If you want to make your own Applescript, we even have a ready-made DIY script here, although the code is similar to DropUModout, with which you are having problems with.

If you browse our Downloads system, we also have some ready made cocoa apps for mod launching:
    http://www.macologist.org/dload.php?action=file&file_id=169
    http://www.macologist.org/dload.php?action=file&file_id=168
    We are also working with Loopware's David McGavern on his UTModLauncher:
    http://www.loopware.com/software/

We also have launchers for mods for other games. If there is something you want that you don't see, just make a post in our
    Requests subforum.