Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sympathy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
So I really love my MBA. My quandary is that I have a ton (100G's) of music that I would store on a USB External Drive. How would be the best way to have it so at home I could just access it via the wireless network? Apple TV?

Sorry if this has been posted but I just wanted to know what others have done and what works well...

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
I have been thinking about this exact solution with regard to time capsule and a MBA.

If you were to have a MBA and time capsule could you partition the time capsule hard drive to hold the music and back up??

Although this would mean if its your only drive that would have too backed up as well. Therefore would you need to attach a network drive to the time capsule and back up to that as the final option? :eek:

I'm making the assumption that you would want to back up ... :rolleyes:

edit** can you back up a network drive if its attached to time capsule and not directly to your computer?

instant hit

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2008
So I really love my MBA. My quandary is that I have a ton (100G's) of music that I would store on a USB External Drive. How would be the best way to have it so at home I could just access it via the wireless network? Apple TV?

Sorry if this has been posted but I just wanted to know what others have done and what works well...

i avoided .mac and built a personal VPN server with all my multimedia. then have itunes installed to index the music, videos, playlists, etc. and with the vpn capabilities, i have access to that database outside the home as well, so long as there's an internet connection.

total cost: $0. time spent: 1 weekend.

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
i avoided .mac and built a personal VPN server with all my multimedia. then have itunes installed to index the music, videos, playlists, etc. and with the vpn capabilities, i have access to that database outside the home as well, so long as there's an internet connection.

total cost: $0. time spent: 1 weekend.

Hey that'd be a cool thing to do! Can you give me a good idea on how to do something like this?

Thanks.

JasonBourne9

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
I don't know if this could work for you but my solution (with a 330GB itunes library) is to create 2 libraries for my MBA.

The first library is small and just includes some of my top rated stuff. That is on my local MBA drive. If I'm remote and just want to use my MBA, I can still get my favorite music, a couple movies and a bunch of TV shows. I also have a second, much larger music collection on a portable WD Passport 320GB drive. If I'm in a hotel or something and want to pull up more music, TV or movies, I plug it in and go from there. Finally, if I want the full fledged experience, I guess I could back to my mac to access to full 330GB library on the desktop mac.

These WD passport drives are a real nice addition to the MBA. With it, I only add a tiny bit of weight and very small (physically) device, but it allows me to get 5 times as much storage as just the laptop alone. Great for traveling if you need a bit more space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.