Local Apple Store says Macbook updated in days

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vazkor, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Vazkor macrumors member

Oct 20, 2006
    Hello to everyone,
    since this is my first post maybe I won't be very reliable but, well ... whatever.
    Today I went to my local Apple Store in Milan, Italy, the guy asked me if I wanted to buy a Macbook or Macbook Pro ... he told me that I shouldn't buy the former 'cause Apple stopped delivering them and a new model will be out very, very soon.
    I find it strange that he would lie thus losing an opportunity to sell, yet all the rumors have been on a Macbook PRO update.
    He pretty much convinced me to start waiting, I hope the heat / rss issues will be solved this way.
  2. monke macrumors 65816

May 30, 2005
    Everyone knows that these new Merom laptops will be out soon, it's just a matter of time. I still can't see anyone turning down a sale though, and since when did the employees know about new products :confused:

Still, he could have been joking and wanted to see what your reation would be. :p
  3. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    Apple doesn't tell their retail employees when new products will be released.
  4. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2006

We get all the same info as the Apple Store staff do, but they may of seen shipments if it is in day.

I really think it will be within October, either 24th or 31st.

I'm hoping for 24th... obviously!
  5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    True but they do get info on updated models to come and thats my guess. Updated models after the channels have been cleared so the store knows more are on the way. Now If this was say a "all new model" then they would know less then us Rumors crowd.
  6. monke macrumors 65816

May 30, 2005
    Exactly, they know that there is an updated model coming out of the laptops. However if say Apple was going to release an iPhone or Powerbook G5's tomorow they wouldn't know. Makes sense now. :)
  7. Vazkor thread starter macrumors member

Oct 20, 2006
    I second your doubts, yet he told me that Macbook deliveries have stopped so ... I don't think he was speaking about a "general rumor".
  8. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

Oct 5, 2004
  9. roland.g macrumors 603

Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    Actually, we may know more than a lot of Apple staff. Unfortunately the quality of the staff has gone down and often times they don't know new or updated machine specs after they are announced. I saw a guy ask to buy a 24" iMac and he asked if the Bluetooth Mouse option required a charging cradle, and in doing so he pointed to an iPod dock thinking that was the mouse charger, so the Apple employee sold him a 24" iMac with wireless KB and MM and an iPod dock.

And no Dont Hurt Me, they don't even know know updated specs a few days in advance.
  10. Vazkor thread starter macrumors member

Oct 20, 2006
    Yeah I know, most clerks are completely inadequate in EVERY store ... expecially electronics. But why turn down a sell that way? I see more often clerks boasting inexistent features and so on ...
  11. scott523 macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2006
    St Charles, MO
    That should be right since Apple's European warehouse MB/MBP inventory have run dry. Still uncertain on what or when more are coming.
  12. indigoflowAS macrumors 6502

Oct 31, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I hope to goodness the update, whenever it is...is not merely the Core2 update, i'll be quite unhappy. But the enclosure revision might be asking too much too soon:eek:
  13. Vazkor thread starter macrumors member

Oct 20, 2006
    I'd just ask for a cool and quiet laptop. That's what I expect from Apple.

ps. that would be my first Mac.