Local Library

Discussion in 'Community' started by joecool85, May 31, 2005.

1. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I just realized that I never go to the local town library...ever. I went once to check it out/get a library card and that was it. I don't know, it is funny though, in my old town the library was 5 minutes away (in a car) so I always figured if it was closer I would bother going to it...but no, where I am now it is about a 2 min walk time from here and I still don't go. Anyone bother going to the local library?

2. joetronic macrumors 6502

I go to mine on a weekly basis. They have a good selection of books, so I check one out, if I like it I go buy it. Since there us a uni in Gettysburg, the library is HUGE.

I also get movies there form time to time. they never have anythign new, but they have ahuge selection of classics.

3. joetronic macrumors 6502

forgot to add. I also read the newspapers there so I don't have to buy them. all the locals and the post, new york times, WallStreet journal, ect...

4. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

i dont really go to my library because it tends to be a 'ghetto' hangout for schoolkids that want to smoke weed and tell their parents they're studying.

i must say though, i do *love* going to the larger libraries in central london. just being there makes you want to get some work done, or do some reading.

ooh, i have a funny story about my old school library :)D ) - when the school leavers (18+) we're leaving a couple of years ago, they did the usual few pranks. one was putting washing up liquid in a japanese garden pond (which had about £30,000 of koi fish in it :eek: ), and another was they put a DEAD FISH in a library book, and put it back a few weeks later.

anyway, a few weeks later the maintenance staff couldn't distinguish where the smell was coming from, until one day a student opened up the book that had the fish in it. i feel bad for that person, really i do.

this year i head someone brought live chickens into the school! :eek:

5. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Taking my 3 girls there in about an hour. Also going shopping with them to get notebooks to Journal their summer.

6. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I completely love the library. When I was a kid we went every week, and were encouraged to read all the time. Whats amazing is that libraries all accross the country are so different.

Where I grew up in upstate NY there are basically all closed, then in Nashville TN they are doing better, but there are still issues.

Out here in Scottsdale/Phoenix they are thriving and are hugely successful. I use it just like netflix. I go to the website, request the materials I want and get an email when they come in. Its the jam. Rental periods are longer than blockbuster, and cheaper. Usually substantialy cheaper. Plus the selection of Audiobooks and PBS documentaries are usually very good.

- Doc

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

My wife and I were just talking about this the other day. Our city's library is apparently very nice, but I've never been to it in the nearly 8 years we've lived here. I think once the kids are older we'll perhaps frequent it more, but just really haven't looked into it.

It's too bad, because I used to go to the library a lot as a child.

8. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Wow...it's actually really interesting hearing how people actually do use the library. Seems to me that only people with kids around here use it, and even at that it seems minimal. Oh yeah, that and people without a computer/internet.

9. neut macrumors 68000

neut

i go to the Library usually once every one or two weeks ... usually CD and DVDs (documentries/audiobooks/SFX) for me and books for my daughter. occasionally i'll check out a book, but i usually just end up buying it.

i think those of us with kids go to the library more than others; and students too. :)

peace | neut

10. doumbek macrumors member

I usually go about once a week. I grew up using the public library, and have never stopped. Every time I move, getting my library card is one of my top priorities.
    I usually wind up going nuts watching T.V. (I really understand why Elvis used to shot out the screens), so the library provides me with a lot of my entertainment. Learned that bit from my father. He was an avid reader, and would read three or four books a week. I'm no where near that speed, but then I wasn't trained by the Navy to be a reading machine like my father was.

Anyways, The Free Public Library Is One Of The Greatest Institutions Of All Time!

11. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

libraries are interesting, i stopped going so much when i began working in book retail (sometimes you just need a break.)

I actually met with a group of librarians last week, they were concerned about how to merchandise the libraries....i guess they have seen diminished circulation, and wanted to modernize how they looked. we had a great discussion about facing out books and running with the idea that covers will attract people more than spines....

here's a side question for this thread: of those people who do not use the library, do you buy or borrow books from elsewhere, and if so why?

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

I tend to buy books in airports as I'm getting ready to go on my trips. Sure, it's not free like the library, but it's timely and I don't have to worry so much about leaving the book somewhere and having to buy a new one for the library. I also keep all of the books I read in my office bookcase - I don't throw any away.

13. nw43 macrumors regular

Wow, that'll be expensive, you must love them a lot! What are you getting them: iBooks or PowerBooks? ;)

14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I'm going several times a week. Loaning books (d'uh), audio books, dvds and cds.

Actually haven't rented a dvd in ages and I get almost all of my ("new") music from the cds I loan and rip into iTunes (legally here in Norway, at least.)

The public library is a good place for an old and broke student... :eek:

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I read in binges... I read maybe 40 books a year, but usually within three or four months, and read basically nothing the rest of the year. I don't know why. :rolleyes: But when I'm in reading mode, I definitely go to the library every few days. :)

16. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Yeah I love the library, frequent visitor to Central Library in Manchester and our local Tameside libraries by checking them out online then going and picking them up fromt the Library stated where it's in stock.

Stalybridge Library is also great for looking through the old Census records and doing some research on family and the areas in Tameside.

17. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Just got back with the analog, paper kind of notebooks. We went to get gas for the van (1.93 at Sam's Club today) and icecream too. Should have held off on the icecream, cause they went nutz in the van, decided to do the library Wednesday.

18. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

£30,000 for fish? thats about 15 imacs or so. can you imagine putting 15 imacs in soap?

i used to go to the local library for the magazines. they had a good selection and they where for free. i also checked books out if i liked them before i bought them. and before internet was there i used it to look up stuff, but now i just google it.

£30,000 for some fish? i just can't get over it. fish.....

19. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

heh, i'm exactly like that. i've over this past month i've been on one book every 2-3 days but since saturday, i've just stopped. i'm 30 pages from the end of dan browbn's 'angels + demons' but i just cant do it.

hopefully the new sj bio 'icon' will snap me out of it.. :)

20. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

yeah, it's nuts. thankfully we had *loads* of macs at school too though ( :D )

if it was a state school i'm sure the figures would've been leaked and there would've been a big march about it or something :rolleyes:

21. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

I go to the library every week.
    They have a good collection of Books (Dutch, French, English), Comic books (strips as we call them here, more serious ;)), CD's and DVD's.
    Today i just returned 'Dark Days' a documentary on the homeless in the NY underground. Wouldn't have known this if it wasn't for the public library.
    They even have their catalog online for home browsing :D (www.hob.be - for those few interested).

I used to use the 'I'm going to the library' excuse to meet my girlfriend there, and spend some time in the nearby woods/park. The library i frequent now is in the city center, no more woods. :( ;)

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

They blew up one of the libraries in our area - the one in Santa Monica. But it was on purpose, as they are constructing a brand new building for the library across the street. They made only one little mistake in planning: they forgot to notify the police/fire departments and the neighbors before the demolition. So when people heard "boom" and saw the old library collapse, they thought it was a bomb and called 911, and emergency teams showed up not knowing what had happened.

A number of libraries in our area have been undergoing renovations (though none as drastic) and I'm pleased to see that cities haven't forgotten that local libraries are important to a community.

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

too little perhaps ... and that with one of the biggest of austria just a 10 minute walk or 2 minute bus trip away completly free for us students (since it's the university library)
    man you can even look up if they have the books you want to read,there and can lend it via internet (and go there to pick it up)

so far have only brought back a single book for my sister ;)

as kids we were going every second wednesday (at our local very small one)
    most books i read i et from my sister she has quite a nice collection and normally recommands books to me ..which i normally go through quite fast...(another military service victim...if you learn something it's how to take you across the boredom with reading ;) )

oh god i just realize that i started with a book at noon (re-reading "hunt for red october") and when i put it away i already had read 350 pages

24. amholl macrumors 6502

Newton Free Library just outside Boston is awesome. Within their walls, they have a great selection of Books, CDs, and Movies, both new and old. For instance, I got Devils and Dust, Harold and Kumar and the Lord of the Flies Book from it last night. The best part is, they are a part of a network. U request the material online and it gets delivered in 3-4 days. Anyone around Boston would know about the network. Its sweet.

25. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    When I was a kid, I lived in the local library. It had a great kids section and my school bus used to drop me about 2 minutes walk from it. I went so often that the librarians got to know me and waived the rules about how many books I could take out without an adult present. :)

My local library now is reasonably close to me but I don't use it - I don't even have a library card for it. The few times I've ventured in, they didn't have copies of the books that I wanted in any case. And it's rarely open when I'm going past on the way to or from work. I buy books - probably 3 or 4 a month and never throw/give any away. I just reread them all a year or so later so I feel that I get my money's worth. I also hate books which are well-thumbed (and aren't my thumbmarks) and people who turn the corner of pages down... both of which happen with library books.