1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Local officials nearly fall for H2O hoax

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Mar 16, 2004.

1. macrumors P6

wdlove

ALISO VIEJO, Calif. - City officials were so concerned about the potentially dangerous properties of dihydrogen monoxide that they considered banning foam cups after they learned the chemical was used in their production.

Then they learned, to their chagrin, that dihydrogen monoxide — H2O for short — is the scientific term for water.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4534017/

2. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You have to watch out for that stuff -- it's dangerous -- breath in too much of it and it'll kill you.

[edit - forgot to say... [​IMG] ]

3. macrumors 6502a

Is there anything more annoying in this world than a smartass nerd?

4. macrumors 68000

topicolo

Maybe dumbass city officials who get suckered in by a smartass nerd? :D

5. macrumors P6

wdlove

You have to give them some credit, they caught the problem before they actually passed a resolution! :p

6. macrumors 68000

agreenster

That wins the 'funniest thing Ive heard this week' award.

I bet that paralegal gets canned!

Heres a funny link

7. macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i agree... it takes two people to be tricked... the one doing the tricking, and the one stupid enough to fall for it...

8. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

hahahahaha!
    i love this!
    wow. i just thought what would happen a my school. we had another lockdown yesterday due to a bomb threat (2nd one this year) and everyone makes fun of the administration at the school for over exaggerating everything. i bet they would have a lockdown if someone told them that there was dihydrogen monoxide in the school :p
    i honestly wouldn't do it. i'd get into too much trouble.

9. macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Man, that's hilarious! I knew what that meant in 7th grade.

10. TEG
    macrumors 604

TEG

I remember this from HS Chemistry Class, Out of a class of 30, I was the only one to correctly identify Dihydrogen Monoxide as Water. Of course that caused be to outed from some groups for a few weeks, but as the class Enigma, I didn't care. It is not easy being smart.

TEG

11. macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Yup, I agree...I knew what that meant in....well....maybe....just a few minutes ago...but is that really important?!?! :D

12. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

13. macrumors 6502

They should really hang their heads in shame.

14. macrumors 604

scem0

How a person who doesn't know that H20 is water got to be a local official is beyond me. Quite alarming if you think about it.

scem0

15. macrumors 6502a

mother ****ers

16. macrumors 601

virividox

hahah thats hilarious, i guess the older u get the less you remember from basic chem class

17. macrumors 6502

I always preferred hydroxic acid or hydrogen hydroxide. They sound a little more dangerous...

18. macrumors 68000

topicolo

hydroxic acid. lol. good one :).