localhost naming problem

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by TrenchcoatJedi, Oct 11, 2004.

1. TrenchcoatJedi macrumors member

TrenchcoatJedi

Hey all,

Quick question with probably a stupid answer but here goes.

I've got an iBook G4 with 10.3.5 installed. I opened up my terminal today and the name of the localhost was changed. I haven't touched this since I got the computer. So I go to sharing prefs and the strangest thing has happened. My computer name and share name are still the same but for some reason my localhost name has changed. Attached are screen caps of my terminal and my sharing prefs and underlined you can see the localhost name is set as kelli_fatato while the computer name and share name are both metalwrath (as they should be). My name isn't Kelli Fatato and I don't know anyone named kelli_fatato and I have no idea how this got set this way.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Check your .tcshrc or your .bashrc files in your home directory and look for a line for something like

set prompt="something" - post what these read.

also run "hostname" (without the quotes and NO arguments) in terminal and post the result here.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hmm...that's odd. When I try the same thing, I get my computer name in the Terminal and an IP address for the afp:// part. I'd look in System Preferences under Accounts to see if there's an account by that name; otherwise, I'd check NetInfo Manager. Click Machines, and check the names there - they should be broadcasthost and localhost. Also, check the Users section.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

The prompt can be customized so comparing one machine to another can be irrelevant, so do what I asked above and post the results here.

5. TrenchcoatJedi thread starter macrumors member

TrenchcoatJedi

Problem solved. Apparently some windows user mapped her IP to mine last night. Nothing wrong with my system. Goddamn MS.

6. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

It's nothing to do with MS. Most likely it happened through DHCP updating the DNS servers.