Locating MAC address on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ScooterDMan, Jun 29, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Oct 26, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Anyone know how? I need to add the Mac Address to my router so I can get on the internet via wifi.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. macrumors 6502

Jun 19, 2007
    Vandenberg AFB, CA
    Goto Settings>General>About and its listed there
  3. macrumors member

Jun 4, 2007
    You are my hero. I looked everywhere but that General section... I'm way too giddy.

4. macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2007
    What if my iPhone doesn't have a wi-fi address listed? I am connected to EDGE constantly, and am suspecting this is why.

Any thoughts?
  5. macrumors member

Apr 16, 2001
    i tried that, and had a blank space next to "Wi-Fi Address". than i joined a network and it gave me my MAC address... 1 more than the Bluetooth MAC address..... interesting....
  6. macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2009
    can anyone help me find ENTIRE mac address???

7. macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2006
    Sheffield, England

That'll teach you to change the font!

8. macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2009
    good point, back to the old font - resolved thanks!
  9. macrumors regular

Nov 11, 2008
    If you are on windows open command prompt, ping your phones wifi address and then type arp -a and look for the mac in your arp cache.
  10. macrumors 68030

Dec 28, 2007
    PHX, AZ.
    Your MAC address is hard coded into the phone.
    The network does not assign it.
  11. macrumors G3

Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA

Good typography FTW.
  12. macrumors member

Sep 17, 2009
    When talking about the iPhone, are the terms Wi-Fi Address and MAC Address interchangeable?

In other words does it mean the same thing?
  13. macrumors Nehalem

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
  14. macrumors member

Sep 17, 2009
    Thanks Demi-God.

I am new to the iPhone and would therefore still need some help in locating the MAC address of the iPhone which I believe is the string that I need to input in my router's MAC address filter settings, so that I can have my iPhone go online at home.

Your help is appreciated.
  15. macrumors Nehalem

Apr 16, 2008
    Try this:
    To figure out the MAC address of your iPhone, start at the home menu. Select Settings -> General -> About. Scroll down that screen and you’ll see a setting called “Wi-Fi Address”, that is your iPhone MAC address.

Now enter that exact address as an allowed MAC address on your wireless network. The directions on this will vary because every router’s menu and interface is different so consult your router manual if you need help with this.

Once you have done this, go back to your iPhone and go to the Settings menu again. Select Wi-Fi and it should display your network in the list of available networks to connect to. Click the network name to connect.
  16. macrumors member

Sep 17, 2009
    Why did you hen first answer "no"? Trying to be funny?

No offense.
  17. macrumors Nehalem

Apr 16, 2008
    Sorry, I got confused :)
  18. macrumors newbie

May 6, 2010
    iPhone MAC Address for Router

I followed the instructions posted to obtain the iPhone MAC address for my iPhone so I can use it in my home's WiFi network. I obtained the iPhone's WiFi address (which is supposedly the MAC address of the phone), entered it into the Wireless Card Access List on my Netgear Router (I have a list of other computers we use in the house on this list) under iPhone. I then went to iPhone settings, turned on WiFi and it showed my network here in the house. But it's asking a password for access which has not been done before. All other computers in the house, when I've added the MAC address for the device to the Router's Wireless Card Access List, and I use any of those computers in the house, the computer automatically finds the network and there's no request for a password.

I've tried entering in the password I use to access the Router as the administrator. But it's not accepting that password on the iPhone and it dismisses joining the WiFi network in the house.

Anyone know what the problem is??

19. macrumors 604

Jan 8, 2012
    Lol sources can't just be random web pages. Point in case your source and it's incorrect info. Actually LOOK in your iPhone.

Screen shot where it says MAC address :)
  20. macrumors 601

Feb 9, 2011
    Log in to your router's admin interface and tell us what the security setting is. Your device wouldn't ask for a password if your router wasn't requiring it for access. Sounds like you need to confirm your settings.
  21. macrumors newbie

Jan 20, 2013
  22. macrumors newbie

Mar 31, 2013
    Pinging wi-fi address does not get response
  23. macrumors 601

Aug 27, 2012
    U are trying to revive a 3 years old thread, and the other answers don't make sense either.

Why do you need the MAC address? Normal usage you should not need to know what this is.
  24. macrumors 604

Apr 6, 2007
    Not to keep this old thread alive, but, actually, there are plenty of "normal" reasons to get the MAC address. Some users lock down their routers using a MAC address whitelist, where only MAC addresses specified on a list are assigned IPs and the rest are ignored (looks like the OP has this).

Also, if you're in a more sophisticated network environment (example: an office setting where a Windows Server domain controller is in charge of handing out IP addresses through DHCP), having the MAC address of specific devices can be useful if you want to set up an IP reservation, where a certain IP address is held for a specific device unless it's absolutely needed by something else.
  25. macrumors member

Aug 21, 2012
    San Francisco
    To find out the MAC address of iPhone, Follow the steps. Go to start at the home menu. After that Select Settings -> General -> About. Scroll down that screen and you’ll see a setting which is called “Wi-Fi Address”, that is your iPhone MAC address.