All iPads Locating quality (GPS, WiFi)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shiinx, Nov 17, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I am aware that only iPads with cellular offer GPS, but there is also the possibility of localization through WiFi. But I don't know whether this option is available for iPads with WiFi only. So, is this possible with current generation iPads?
    I realize, if possible, the localization quality will be much worse compared to localization with GPS. But let's say I am in a really big city (New York or Tokyo, for example), how are my chances to actually get a rough localization with WiFi only - and how rough would it be?

Basically, I am currently pondering whether I have to buy a cellular model (don't need the cellular only the GPS), or whether I can get along with WiFi localization. I would only need it to get a rough position when I am completely lost in an unknown city.

2. macrumors regular

Gps

buy a nexus7 for 200.00 and it has a real (full time) GPS.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I had already bought one for this very reason [was my first tablet/smartphone experience] . But after using it for some days, I returned it to the store for various reasons ( locating myself is by far not the most use case for me ).