Location Free on PSP?

Discussion in 'Games' started by bluedevil14, May 15, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

Jan 3, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Sony has this thing called Location Free that allows you to stream TV, DVD, Music, ect. to computers and PSP's anywhere there's a wifi spot. Has on anyone tried this on a PSP? How does it work? I am considering getting this really soon and would love any advice.
  2. macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    Sadly, I've not been able to use this because the LocationFree functionality in the PSP requires that you have the second-generation Sony LocationFree TV base station (I have the FIRST-generation base station). I've only been able to use my LFTV (I have the 7" model — no jokes).

How it works, though, is that your PSP/LFTV communicates with the base station, over the Internet. The base station encodes TV or any other audio/video signal you connect to the base station (in my case, a 400 DVD changer)... the base station has a built-in basic cable tuner. The two devices communicate using a special port number (which you have to open on your router). It's pretty easy to use. The quality is pretty decent, but you have to remember you're watching on a pretty small screen. The main requirement is that you have a fast broadband connection at BOTH ends of the transaction: In your home, and wherever you are at the moment.