Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

electronique

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Hi.

At the moment, im running an early 2011 MBP with an external monitor.

I have the external monitor setup as the primary, and the MBP as the secondary monitor.

I like to throw apps like mail and iTunes on the secondary monitor, while keeping the more important apps on the primary.

Problem is: When I put the MBP to sleep, the apps that were open and maximised on the secondary (MBP) monitor, have now moved across to the primary.

How do I lock an app to a specific monitor?

The thing is, when I shutdown and check the option to open the current apps. The apps stick to the monitor they were on prior to shutting down... This problem of the app returning to the primary monitor only occurs in sleep/wake.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
What sequence are you using? Is your monitor turned on long enough before waking the laptop? Does the laptop sleep before the monitor? Do you minimize apps before sleep? Is it a apple monitor or third party?

Edit: I just noticed a different behavior since updating to 10.8.4. hmmmm...

Last edited:

electronique

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
What sequence are you using? Is your monitor turned on long enough before waking the laptop?
Yeah thats the thing. The monitor I have set as the Primary. So both screens wake. The apps that I had on the secondary (MBP), will be open in an awkward position on the external monitor, and not aligned to the secondary (MBP)

Does the laptop sleep before the monitor?
I think so. Not more than a second though. The monitor would see no connection, and then sleep itlsef.

Do you minimize apps before sleep?

No

Is it a apple monitor or third party?
Third party. DVI to Mini displayport (combo thunderbolt)

The whole thing that is weird, is that If I shutdown, when starting up again, all the open apps will snap open in their rightful place on either monitor.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
It may just be a timing thing. When I wake the external monitor before the MBP it seems to work just fine. If not the windows are jumbled. Otherwise the MBP doesn't seem to see the monitor until later (too late)

Startup takes longer than waking for sleep so the display has a chance to wake before the MBP is on line and looking for it.

Its a story I'm sticking to.

electronique

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
It may just be a timing thing. When I wake the external monitor before the MBP it seems to work just fine. If not the windows are jumbled. Otherwise the MBP doesn't seem to see the monitor until later (too late)

Startup takes longer than waking for sleep so the display has a chance to wake before the MBP is on line and looking for it.

Its a story I'm sticking to.

HA.. Its a story that I had never thought up... and it seems quite logical :)

Appreciate the tip.

Going home tonight and waking my monitor, prior to the MBP.

Fingers crossed.

electronique

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
It may just be a timing thing. When I wake the external monitor before the MBP it seems to work just fine.

Tested.. Youre exactly right.

Bit of a clunky process, but it certainly corrects the issue.
My monitor light is orange when it sees no signal. So my process is now, before I wake the MBP is -
Turn the monitor off.
Back on again (light still orange)
Quickly wake the Mac.

Bam - Screens wake with the apps located in the correct positions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.