Lock button stopped working

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tjespo22, Sep 26, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

So my lock button on my iPhone 4 stopped working. Any DIY to fix this?

2. macrumors 68000

I'd take the opportunity to get a brand new replacement from Apple, assuming it's under warranty.

3. macrumors 6502a

maximus96

mine was also broken about 2 weeks ago. it stopped clicking and would take a very hard press to work. i was way past warranty since i got it at launch. i also don't want to give it up since its unlocked and can fetch more cash than what apple might replace it with...also, out-of-warranty replacements are $200 i believe.

here is the instruction, http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iPhone-4-Power-Lock-Button/4332/1

for me, i didn't need to replace the actual button although i did buy one for about $5 on ebay. i needed the ribbon cable underneath which you can see in the pictures (towards the end, with the little orange circle clicker thing). you can also buy the ribbon on ebay, also around $5 i think.

its a lot of work to replace the stupid ribbon though. the screws are tiny and of a bunch of different sizes. but its do-able...took about 1 hr for the first go around.

edit: if you don't feel like DIY, craigslist has people that offered repair services. i called some and they wanted about $50 for the fix

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

I cannot get one under warranty. I am 95 days past my warranty. The button does not actually click at all and does not work at all.. It is almost like it is stuck pushed down.