lock th desktop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tcamposr, Mar 22, 2007.

1. tcamposr macrumors newbie

Hi:

Is there any way in which you can lock your desktop so your kids won't play with it? I tried logging off, but I have some apps running and when I log off they loss the internet connection... any thoughts?

TC

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In the Security pane of System Preferences, you can enable the option to require a password when coming back from a screensaver. Then all you need to do is set up a hot corner for your screensaver in the associated preference pane and you've got yourself a nice quick way of 'locking the desktop'. Is that what you're after? :)

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If you open Keychain Access (it's in Applications --> Utilities), in the Preferences there's an option to "Show status in menu bar." Activating this places a "lock" symbol in menu bar, which provides quick access to locking your screen, as well as locking the passwords in your keychain.

It basically just starts your screen saver and requires password to turn it off, but it's a nice way of doing it, particularly for people who don't like hot corners (such as myself).

4. tcamposr thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx for your help... I will try either or both to see which one works for me!

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

you could also enable fast-user switching, which allows you to go to the home screen without logging out.

WinSwitch allows you to do this without enabling fast-user switching and assigns a key command to the process.