lock the dock?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kakapo, Mar 23, 2007.

1. kakapo macrumors member

kakapo

my grandmother got her first computer at 80 and "switched" at 90. she does great, especially with web surfing, but occasionally she does things like delete Mail from the dock. is there any way for me to lock which applications are in the dock? also, is there any way to lock the configuration of the Mail window so she doesn't hide her folders or change the proportion of the window devoted to message list vs. message content?

thanks,
    erik

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

You can get info on com.apple.dock.plist under her Library/Preferences and lock the file there. It will still be possible to poof items out of the dock, but logging out and back in (or you could make her a little "reset dock" icon that does a killall Dock) will put everything back the way it was.

3. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

This is also built into the Parental Controls feature of Tiger.

First configure her dock the way it should be, then you'll need to go to System Preferences -> Accounts. You'll have to make her a standard account, you can do this by unchecking the "Allow user to administer this computer," and the user status will change from "Admin" to "Standard." If she's the only user on the system, you'll want to create a new administrator.

Once you do that, you can select the user, and then the Parental Controls tab and click the check box beside "Finder.app & System" and then you can configure it by clicking "Configure...". By checking all of the checkboxes aside from "Modify Dock" and "This user can only use these applications" you should be set.

The user account status will change from "Standard" to "Managed."

Alternatively, you can set these settings in NetInfo Manager, even for an administrator, but OS X throws a funky login message when you do so. You're not allowed to set Parental Controls for an administrator through the GUI, but again, it is possible as demonstrated in my screenshot.

Attached Files:

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

5. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

With no intention for spamming: that's a neat app, xUKHCx! It tosses the appropriate privileges right into NetInfo for you without any of the silly "Managed" settings. I didn't realize those privileges would work without being "Managed."

Learned something new. Cool. :)

6. Mac the knife macrumors member

7. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

thanks!!