Locked "Hold" button in my Nano

Discussion in 'iPod' started by dllavaneras, Dec 4, 2006.

1. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

My brother bought himself a new iPod, and he gave me his old Nano. The only quirk (quite bothersome) is that the hold button is locked, and to access anything you must press the hold button, which unlocks the iPod. Is there anything I can do to fix it, besides taking it to a Apple store?

2. Gee macrumors 65816

How do you mean 'locked'? As in stuck, unmovable?

3. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

yeah please clarify. Do you mean that even when you move it over to "unlock" it, it still acts as if the hold button is engaged?

4. dllavaneras thread starter macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Exactly. It doesn't matter if the hold is "unlocked", the lock will still show up on the screen and nothing can be pressed. The only way around this is by moving the hold to the "unlock" position and then pressing the button (with a fair ammount of force), kind of like turning on a nokia phone (the candy bar type, not the clamshell type). It's a pain to press while searching for a song, or passing some pics, or viewng a note...

I've considered sending it to get repaired, but I wanted to know if there's anything I can do first

Thanks in advance!

5. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

If you have to physically force the hold switch to get the iPod to respond, there's little doubt in my mind that there is a faulty or loose connection with the hold switch. Bring it in to Apple. I suppose you could try restoring it in iTunes, but I would be extremely surprised if it changed anything.

6. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

7. dllavaneras thread starter macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Jay42, I tried restoring and nothing happened :(

backsidetailsli, It's a bit hard to take it to apple, since I'm in Venezuela :p My brother brought it from the states over a year ago, so I think the warranty expired already. I'll probably take it to my Apple authorized reseller, but that means at least a week or two without my nano! :eek: I just wanted to see if I could do something...

Thanks!