Locked out of Finder by the Clock! OS9.2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hanoonoo, Aug 18, 2004.

1. hanoonoo macrumors newbie

hanoonoo

Unchecked Norton AV Scheduler (liveupdate) in Extensions Manager because it was going haywire. Not sure if that was the cause but on rebooting was told Date was set before 1973 and this could cause problems.

I'm then given three options, Server, Finder or Shutdown. To identify a time server or to lauch Finder I need a username and password but the previous owner of the machine did not provide me with this info so I'm a bit stuck!

No discs came with machine so reinstallation not an option! Any ideas or suggestions?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May need new battery.

But try starting with the shift key held down (I think that is the key), this should eliminate a lot of the extensions that are causing problems.

Or try the extension manager, cannot remember which key to hold down.

You should then be able to look around the System Folder and manually drag the Norton stuff into the disabled folder.

3. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

try the usename as the person who gave the computer to you's name and try to guess his password. IF that doesn't work try username: admin pass: admin or pass:123456
    Or you could try calling or emailing the previous owner for a pass and username.
    Sorry I can't be of anymore help.

4. hanoonoo thread starter macrumors newbie

hanoonoo

Thanks guys but Norton, although annoying, is not the real problem. I know how to disable extensions, it's [space] for ext. mgr at startup btw ;) but now I can't get into the damned machine! Tried all the obvious usr/pwd combos & can't get hold of previous owner :*(

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The password was always easy to get around because you could boot from the CD and move the password file out of the pref folder (may be Multi-User Prefs).

You could then play around with the machine and do anything you wanted, and then move the file back with the owner of the machine none the wiser.

6. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

Try this: hold down the apple key and press the restart button. An empty white box should come up. Type "g finder". It might go into finder then.

7. hanoonoo thread starter macrumors newbie

hanoonoo

Umm, actually if you press the restart button, it tends to restart.

"g finder" will quit[/restart/whatever] Finder but my problem is I can't get into finder.

Does anyone know if I could delete/move the multi-user prefs using Open Firmware commands (and if so, what would they be?!) - I don't have a boot disk :(

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Holding down Shift at boot will turn off extensions.

9. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

I don't think you can modify the OS by way of Open Firmware. OF is similar to a BIOS on a PC and those two aren't connected in any way that would allow you to modify the OS.

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

eBay for the system disk? Looks like they're going for around $40 US right now. But try the battery thing first! Clock problems are often related to the battery.

You might also consider upgrading to Panther...

11. hanoonoo thread starter macrumors newbie

hanoonoo

Although Open Firmware is more for hardware problems, you can use "dir dev" [where hd is device in this case] to list files on hard disk. I know that OF is not for interacting with the OS' file system but perhaps if you can view files you can manipulate them?

Re: other replies, pls see previous replies by me before posting: Extensions not the problem and I know how to disable them at startup. Have tried this, also tried changing settings back in Extension Manager at startup incase this was the problem but was told I don't have privileges. Also tried forcing single-user boot but to no avail.

Does anyone know if Norton Scheduler extension affects single-user / multi-user status or prefs?

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Is this a New World Mac or an Old World Mac?

If it's a NWM, boot into target mode and hook it up via a firewire drive to another Mac. Pull all the files you want.

If it's an OWM, you're limited to pulling the hard drive and popping that puppy into another Mac. Again, pull all the files you want.

13. hanoonoo thread starter macrumors newbie

hanoonoo

Please excuse my ignorance, but what's a New World / Old World Mac? Are you refering to before and after OS X?

wow, guys! Thanks for the advice but some of it's not an option :*(
    I'm a lone mac user, isolated and alone. Not seen another Mac in 3 years. Got one machine (except from my SE30, Classic and LCII) no kit other than my keyboard and mouse and have no cash to buy firewire drives/new machines/system disks.

I know I'm probably desparately searching for a solution that doesn't exist but I can still hope, right?... :confused:

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If it's a New World ROM machine it has Open Firmware, you should be able to navigate with it's arcane code and delete the problematic file.

Don't ask me how to do it, because I cannot find the "Open Firmware Command Reference" only the table of contents.

http://www.firmworks.com/open_fw/liter/ofcmdref.txt

---

We told you how to make use of the flaw in Apple's multi-user password scheme -- boot from CD, or put the drive in another machine -- then delete the multi-user preferences.

Most of us cannot really can guide you through doing it with Open Firmware, but it probably can be done.

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

16. hanoonoo thread starter macrumors newbie

hanoonoo

Argh! conflicting info! Thanks for the link on target mode - interesting... Tempted to go with the Firewire idea re: NWM/OWN as I'm pretty sure all macs have Open Firmware, it's just a matter of which version.. perhaps it's those with version 3?

May have to give up on this till I can afford to get a system disk.

Cheers guys. ;)

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Nope the only Macs that have open firmware are the New World ROM machines -- the ones with ROM in RAM.

Was something that started after the clones, all machines after the iMac/B&W G3 for sure.

Edit: http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1167.html

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Reference to the New/Old World Mac that I'm using may be an incorrect colloquialism that I picked up, like calling Mac OS X (pronounced "ten") Mac OS Ex. Which I also do.

19. hanoonoo thread starter macrumors newbie

hanoonoo

Lol, I did that two until I read an article that thought to mention the correct pronunciation for OS X.

If you read the section entitled NewWorld Architecture in the link you provided, reference is made to earlier versions of OF existing prior to NWMs...

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

OK, if it's PowerPC machine with a PCI slot hold down Command-Option-O-F and you should be able to use Open Firmware to delete the file -- maybe.

EDIT -- I keep thinking of OF being a NW Rom thing, because the machines don't have the Mac OS Toolbox in ROM.

Saving, running, loading files in OF...

http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn2001.html