Locked out of OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jihad the movie, Mar 14, 2005.

1. jihad the movie macrumors regular

So I am pretty much locked out of OS X. Thankfully for auto login I can use my computer just fine, but whenever I need to make changes, I cannot. Now we all know about the rumors of Tiger in April, so if Tiger does come out in April, and I decide to upgrade, is there any way I can copy over all of my old preferences and applications without reinstalling and inserting serial numbers?

I have purchased a lot of shareware, and I don't want to have to go back one by one to put the serials back in (or email the creators begging for another). Somebody told me that target disk mode would work fine for this, and another said Archive and Install, but with my corrupted account, I don't think it will do me much good. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Justin

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

so you forgot/lost your admin password??

i suppose you could create a new admin accont, transfer everything over to that and then delete the old account, pain in the butt? yes but could work

3. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

I thought there was a way to reset the password using the install disk, maybe I'm wrong can't check at the moment.

4. jihad the movie thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I knew it, I had everything locked down with it. I had a kernel panic last night and ever since then the computer has been wonky. After I rebooted I tried to change some settings in system preferences, but when I clicked unlock it said that my shortname was incorrect, so I tried my full name, which it said was not an admin (I only have one account on this machine). So even if I wanted to create a new account, I cannot.

5. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

If you boot off your install disk. You can reset your admin password from there. Shhhhhhh.