Locked out of Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fozziebear, Aug 9, 2005.

1. fozziebear macrumors newbie

My school was recently lucky enough to recieve some older bondi blue slot loading iMacs... some of which have Tiger on them... because we weren't given a user name or password we can't use the machines... and because of the age of the machines, they won't read the OSX Tiger DVD... they're CD only... does anyone know of there is anyway around this?

2. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Talk to the IT person at your school, and get a user name and password.

3. mac-er macrumors 65816

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Tiger requires a G3, built-in USB and FireWire. All slot-loading (and later) iMacs qualify.

5. mac-er macrumors 65816

6. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

....? How did you conclude this....

7. rcwallis macrumors newbie

I have used this method to boot machines with cd only...

If you have a powerbook or other mac that will read a DVD, boot it in Target disc mode by holding down the T key with the dvd inside. Then connect it via firewire to one of the iMacs. Boot the iMac holding down the option key, then select the CD from the resulting screen to boot from. From there you can change the password of users on the machine, or install a fresh os...

8. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Have you got an external DVD reader anywhere? I believe most/all of the slot loading iMacs had firewire, so if you could borrow an external drive you should be able to boot from the Tiger DVD.

You might need to select the DVD as the boot up disc in Startup Disk preference panel. If that doesn't work try holding down option (alt) on startup and this should bring up a selection of all available OS's to boot from.