Locked Out

Discussion in 'Community' started by robbieduncan, Aug 28, 2003.

1. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I just locked myself out of my flat :( With my flatmate out of the country I had to call out a Locksmith. £90 down but I'm back in. Took 1.5 hours for him to arrive :( Thankfully my neighbour upstairs was in to phone at all! That's a mistake I won't make again. I just stepped out to take my bike in and the door shut behind me.

Anyone else do something stupid today?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Not today, but a week or two back, I did the same thing! Locked out, DAMMIT! I live @ home, and my parents were away for 2 weeks, I was ****ting it thinking "what am I gonna do, what am I gonna do!?!", so I decided to go and borrow a coat hanger from a neighbor and try to get the latch through the letter box, to my complete surprise, my parents had left him a spare key! I don't think I've ever been so relieved in my life :D I was dreading the cost, and the wait for a locksmith :eek:

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I recently had gone out to fetch the mail/post as it was starting to rain. I had my keys but not my phone.

I pulled the door shut to keep out the geckos and other creatures. Once i retrieved the junk mail, I returned to find that the latch was playing tricks on me. The door wasn't locked but wouldn't let me open the door.

My neighbours were kind enough to call a locksmith but they were leaving and I had no way for the locksmith to contact me in the 1.5 hours left before he would arrive.

It started to pour. After a good soaking while watching the lightning, my lawn sprinklers turned on. :D :D

He arrived and asked me for identification, which was in the house. He decided to do it anyway, drilling the brass and steel handle of the latch. $100 and a towel or two later, I was back inside.

4. KCK macrumors regular

I always make sure the door is unlocked is I step outside and don't have my keys. I also have a key hidden outside the house just in case.

5. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i was waiting ages for covad (bastards) to come wire my friend's studio for sDsl, after the second no show they turn up, late, and i accidentally locked us out of the studio, with my keys and cellphone inside. fortunately i was able to unscrew the metal strip and pop open the lock from between the two doors. if the bolt had been turned i'd have been screwed, but fortunately the door handle lock isn't secure hehe.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Well at the Apartments I stay in, in both Portland, OR and Flint, MI, they only have a deadbolt, therefore, no getting locked out. Unless my roomates in Flint leave while I'm out and I forgot to take my keys, only happend once, so I went to the gym.

In Spring '002, I was home in Langley, by my self for a week while my parents were at a conference. Well, I was using my parents '85 Camry instead of my GMC Truck. I was working at the local 'good' Pharmacy. Well, my house keys were on the same chain as my truck keys, so I locked the door, picked up my TiBook and was off, but I forgot my lunch. So I tried to go back in only to realise that I had no keys. Both neighbors who have keys were gone, so I went and found a saw horse, climbed up and opened my Kitchen Window (In front of the Sink, 6 1/2 feet off the ground.) Well I nearly didn't fit through the window, being 6'6", and 270lbs at the time, I had to go in on my side, and crashed to the floor. Now I always wear my keys, no matter what.

TEG

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

This is where Dead Bolt locks come in handy. The lock can't be locked from the outside without a key. I did it once prior to the dead bolt and just waited till my wife came home!